Caterpillar Close-Up

This caterpillar is so laid-back compared to the two younger ones we are raising.  I took this photo after returning him to his container.  He had pushed the lid off during the night and was trying to get back in since that’s where his food is.
green caterpillar with eyespots - photo by Adrienne Zwart
“Junior” continues to grow every day.  He is plump and green now, with a handsome horizontal stripe just out of view in this photo.  The brown portion is actually the caterpillar’s face.  Isn’t his coloring striking now?

The eyespots are part of the swallowtail family’s defense.  When they grow too large to be convincing as bird droppings, the next instars look more like little snakes.  I love this tiger swallowtail because the little black line above the pupil of the “eye” looks like an eyebrow, and truly does make this appear to be a face.  These markings confuse would-be predators into thinking the large caterpillar is actually a small snake.

What snake-like disguise would be complete without a forked tongue? This structure pictured below is called osmeterium (pronounced: äz-mə-ˈtir-ē-əm), and the caterpillar extends it when feeling particularly threatened.  One of the younger caterpillars is very feisty. Every time we pick up his container to replace his food supply, he displays this defense unique to swallowtails.  caterpillar sticks out tongue to look like snake
According to the literature, this structure is actually a gland that also emits foul-smelling pheromones, although I haven’t noticed an odor yet when he does this.

You can see the eyespots and the green coloring starting to show through the skin.  This caterpillar molted the next day.  I think the blue spots are lovely.  They remind me of the color of chicory—my favorite wildflower.

In the last post, I mentioned my curiosity for finding the facemasks uneaten.  I did do some reading on caterpillar molting hoping to find out why the facemask is left behind when the caterpillar eats the shed skin.  I was unable to find any direct references to it, but I think I can safely guess why.  I found a fascinating video of a swallowtail caterpillar molting.  After it crawls out of the old skin, the larva rubs its face vigorously to dislodge the old mask. The facemask rolls away.  I viewed several photos of both swallowtails and monarchs in which the facemasks were at the floor of the container. 

Whether or not the facemask lacks taste or nutritional value remains a mystery.  But I think the main reason it doesn’t get eaten is that by the time the caterpillar finishes his post-molt resting period, he simply has forgotten where the facemask went or doesn’t want to expend the energy necessary to retrieve it. 

Ah. There’s so much yet to learn. :)

Here’s the video if you are interested.  Keep in mind that this is a different species of swallowtail, but the process is the same.
swallowtail shedding skin youtube video

We have now added another caterpillar container to our collection.  Megan was following a clouded sulfur in the yard on Saturday.  She watched as it paused on a clover and laid a single egg.  It hatched yesterday and is even more tiny than the first instar swallowtails.
 clouded sulfur butterfly egg photo by Adrienne Zwart
I am glad you are enjoying this experience with me.  I look forward to sharing more photos soon.

If you have found this post and would like to read how I came to be raising this caterpillar, check out the previous posts here:
  • Birth (Caterpillars aren't "born", obviously, but "Hatch" doesn't sound quite as profound.)
  • Instar  

Comments

Unknown said…
The boys are fascinated. Enthralled. Thank you for sharing.
Yes, Adrienne... I love following this experience with you.... That first picture made me smile... It looks like ET---or some sort of martian.... ha

Great pictures... Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Snap said…
Adrienne, your caterpillar lessons are wonderful. i've really enjoyed them and your amazing photos!
Lona said…
Look at Junior grow. Love the first picture.Looks like a little dinosaur face LOL! Such a great capture!
Valerie said…
That first photo is so amazing to me! What kind of camera and lens are you using again?

What a great lesson for the kids. It is an amazing process. Do you home school? I know in our schools our third graders do a unit on the life cycle and they raise the painted lady butterflies - but how neat to put these together into a presentation to share with the schools.

Very very good! I am loving these posts!
Janice K said…
When I looked at the first picture, my first thought was, "Only a face a mother could love." This has been so intersting to follow along with you through this. Look forward to seeing more.
Joanne Olivieri said…
I've been following this series and it is not only educational but entertaining as well. That first shot is so cool. He does look like an alien of some sort but cute all the same.
Deejbrown said…
Astonishing and sensitive and wondrous! I love your observations of the everyday miracles and am grateful for your sharing it in your blog.

The video was fascinating but the Google ads about killing insects at the bottom was a disturbing.

Looking forward to more photos of these little lives--I won't be looking at butterflies in the same way again!
Adrienne Zwart said…
DeeJ, I'm sorry about the ads. I never noticed that.
DeniseinVA said…
Fascinating post Adrienne. I enjoyed your photos very much and also the video.
An English Girl Rambles
definitely fascinating! Thanks for sharing so much with us!
Anonymous said…
I don't come over here near enough. What a fascinating, beautifully photographed series! I really think you should make a photo book with text when Junior and friends become butterflies. I actually think you should make a REAL book... I could easily see you becoming a well-known author on the subject of insects. By the way; I was thinking of YOU when I did that 1 Peter picture with verse; just wanted you to know that. :<)
{{{hugs}}}
Our 2 and a half year old grandson was sitting next to me on the couch, and when I showed him the first photo in this post, and asked him if he knew what it was, he said it was a crocodile. He watched the video with me. That was cool to see. Enjoy your new baby caterpillar!
Misty DawnS said…
Oh my gosh - I didn't know about the "forked tongue". That is amazing!!!

Popular Posts