Instar

As a caterpillar develops, it outgrows its skin.  Each stage between moltings of its skin is called an instar.  This is “Junior” entering his second instar.  Well, actually I’m not exactly sure in which instar he is.  This just happens to be the first time I’ve seen the shed skin which he subsequently ate after I took this photo.  It is quite possible that he has already done this once before.  After doing some reading, I learned that caterpillars eat their skin to hide evidence of themselves from predators.   black and white caterpillar and molted skin - photo by Adrienne Zwart
This isn’t the greatest quality photo, but I had to share it.  Hard to believe that he fit in that tiny discarded skin!
After he had rested for a few hours, I held his wilting leaf next to the edge of a fresh leaf, allowing him to move to the new leaf on his own.  Caterpillars are quite fragile after molting, so I did not want to cause injury by handling him.swallowtail aka bird poop caterpillar - photo by Adrienne Zwart
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
This caterpillar is still quite small, but it has been fun watching him grow a little each day.

CCbadge

Comments

Isn't that just amazing, Adrienne---how they can start out like they do and end up a gorgeous butterfly??? Beautiful!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you are having a good weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Joanne Olivieri said…
I absolutely love this post. To see the progress is amazing. Thank you.
Janice K said…
How amazing to be able to watch this metamorphisis in process....Definitely a growing experience!

Thanks for letting us watch too.
DeniseinVA said…
Hi Adrienne, thank you for a very interesting post, and also the beautiful photos.
Valerie said…
I am anxiously awaiting the stages this critter will transform thru - I've never seen a 'larva' like this one.
You have me on the edge of my seat! :)
Coy Hill said…
Wow, that skin really had your little critter tucked in! Simply amazing Adrienne.
That is amazing! How cool that you are getting to experience the transformations first hand. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Cheryl Kohan said…
This is a wonderful post. And I think the photos are great. How interesting to learn that they will eat their shell...not very appetizing but interesting all the same!
Willard said…
That is amazing. Very informational!
Kelly said…
...this is so cool!! What an opportunity. I'm glad you were able to record it and pass it on. I never knew...
Misty DawnS said…
AWESOME! I am truly enjoying these posts. You are doing a very educational photo documentary!

Popular Posts