Birth


I was sitting in the grass yesterday afternoon trying to capture some good butterfly photos.  While I watched and shot, an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail flitted by and sampled some purple coneflower nectar.  He flew to our back flowerbed, and as I tracked his flight, I was pleasantly surprised to see him find and begin to pursue a black morph female.  I smiled at their fluttery greeting.  Flitting and tumbling higher and higher, I watched as they flew near to a young tulip poplar tree. 
black and yellow butterflies mate
Their flight carried them over the fence and off into the field, but I wondered if they had been together previously and decided to check the tree.  I had transplanted this tree* earlier in the spring hoping for this very occurrence.  Sure enough, on one of the top-most leaves, I found an egg.
eastern swallowtail egg on a tulip poplar leaf
After checking some references to be certain, I decided to go out and retrieve the leaf.  When I found it, the egg had already changed from green to a golden yellow suggesting it was going to hatch within a day.  Heavy rains were moving into the area, and I didn’t want this little guy to drown as soon as he made his appearance into this world.  All those butterfly-raising supplies I ordered this spring have certainly been handy.  I wrapped the petiole of the leaf in a wet paper towel to keep it from wilting and set the entire thing down inside a sterile caterpillar-raising container.butterfly egg on leaf
Shortly after bringing the egg inside, it became transparent.  I checked on it again before going to bed, and the caterpillar had not yet hatched.  The caterpillar’s black head was clearly visible through the shell.
 caterpillars black head visible through shell

   This morning, the caterpillar had chewed a hole in its eggshell.
caterpillar chews hole in egg to emerge
I checked on its progress several times throughout the morning as I took breaks from my household chores.  I missed the actual hatching, but did manage to capture it just afterward.

caterpillar next to its egg - photo by Adrienne Zwart The caterpillar rested briefly before turning around to consume the nutrient-rich eggshell. 
 caterpillar eating its egg
Within an hour of its hatching, the caterpillar had fully assumed its first instar coloring.  God designed them with a great camouflaging scheme, unappealing though it may be--not only to us, but especially to their predators.  The early instars of this caterpillar resemble bird droppings to protect them from being eaten by birds.   

I hope you all are enjoying your summer.  It seems ours is passing much too quickly.

 
*The tulip poplar is just one of the host plants that Eastern Tiger Swallowtails prefer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wooooot! How wonderful! I was hoping for photos, and you delivered well above and beyond expectations. That is so, so awesome, and I truly believe it's a direct message from a very, very loving God....
{{{hugs}}}
Unknown said…
Wow, Adrienne! This is just amazing. I LOVE that you were able to track this through photographs. What an experience.

I could see God's greatness in this as well. It made me praise Him!
Kelly said…
...this is sooo cool, Adrienne! Beautiful photography too. I love the macros. Impressive you were able to find the egg and follow it through its hatching. Your patience paid off!!
Wow, what a blessing to witness the mating butterflies, and then, the egg that possibly came from the female, and then the caterpillar that hatched. Will you be able to keep it fed until it becomes a butterfly?

Awesome photos!
Adrienne Zwart said…
Sue. This tree is actually 2 years old, and already taller than me, so I have plenty of leaves to harvest without damaging the tree.

Kelly, though this egg was obviously laid a days ago, I wonder if it was from the same pair. I sincerely hope it will successfully pupate.
Well---how 'bout that, Adrienne.... You are a Grammy!!!!! Congrats on the birth of that sweet little caterpillar. You got some amazing pictures!!!! WOW!!!!

Send some of your rain this way!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
Kerri Farley said…
This is Absolutely AMAZING! WOW!
Wow what a great journey you brought us on! Thanks.

PS...love the new bloggity look.
absolutely wonderful photographs! How marvelous it must have been to watch this!
Judy said…
I love the first photo, of the pair of butterflies, and then I watched breathlessly as the hatching progressed! Wonderful series!
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for capturing this beautiful act of mother nature! ~ Juliakay
Misty DawnS said…
Adrienne, this is one of the best posts EVER! I can't express how wonderful I think this post is. Great work!!!
Erin Lenore said…
These are amazing!! Lovely captures.
squirrel said…
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the great photos.
Valerie said…
Love these shots. I cannot get my 18-270mm lens to focus clearly on the eggs. I struggled with that last year. Great series of photos!
Adrienne Zwart said…
Valerie, I was having trouble too. I resorted to the point and shoot for the hatching sequence. I'm more familiar with its macro settings and I didn't want to miss anything while I fiddled with the DSLR. I definitely need more practice. Changing to manual focus helps on these smaller things like eggs, but then it is hard to tell on something so small whether or not you've focused on the details you want.
Drew said…
This is so fascinating. I love the photos you captured that show the entire process. Amazing!

Popular Posts