Below is a list of field guides and other resources. The list contains affiliate links, so if it bothers you that I might make enough to make a visit to Starbucks, feel free to open another browesr window and search for the items on your own. No worries!
I am still fascinated by birds, bugs and plants especially those I've never seen or noticed before. In fact, I'm just as likely as my kids are to come running into the house beckoning breathlessly to "Quick! Come see what I found!" Of course, they often carry the prized discovery along with them, while I prefer to observe and then capture with my camera.
Simply finding something new is just the beginning. I probably enjoy the research that follows just as much as the finding.
Here are my favorite resources for identification:
- Guide to the Birds of North America - National Geographic
- Field Guide to Eastern Birds - Peterson
- All About Birds - hosted by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Butterflies of Ohio - Janet Daniels
- First Guide to Caterpillars - Peterson
- The Life Cycles of Butterflies - Burris and Richards
- Insectlore.com - an online resource for Painted Lady butterfly larvae
Other Insects and Spiders
- BugGuide.net - my favorite insect ID forum
Flowers and Trees
- Field Guide to Wildflowers - Peterson
- Wildflowers of Ohio - Robert Henn
- Ohio Trees Index - hosted by Ohio's Department of Natural Resources
- Michigan Trees: A Guide to the Trees of the Great Lakes Region - Barnes and Wagner