Orchard Orbweaver Re-visited

I keep checking to see if the orbweaver is still in the garden.  I had heard that some spiders will use a web only one day and then spin a new one somewhere else. But so far, this one is still using the same web.  In addition, I have spotted two others in the same flowerbed, one of which is smaller than my pinky fingernail.
I should correct myself.  Each of these spiders has multiple webs forming sort of a box.  I’m not sure what the purpose of those other webs are, as I have only seen them utilizing the top-most horizontal web.  They grip the web from the underside so that their ventral side is visible.  (That’s the smiley face pattern you could see in Megan’s photo last week.) 
But the dorsal side of their abdomen is also brightly patterned, and I wanted to try to photograph the orbweaver from that perspective.  Though they darted around on the web whenever a small insect brushed the web, the spiders always stayed on the underside of it.  And because I didn’t want to disturb the webs on the sides of their “box,”  I settled for a side view shot.
green garden spider - photo by adrienneinohio.blogspot.com
Here’s a tighter crop so that you can see its pattern.  I included the photo above to give you a sense of how small the spider is. I don’t know if the super-tiny one was a juvenile or if perhaps the size difference had to do with gender. (Males tend to be smaller than females.)green spider Close-Up - photo by AdrienneinOhio.blogspot.com
I am not really a spider person, but I do find them fascinating as long as I can keep my distance.  Walk smack into a web, however, and I turn into a flailing idiot bent on the poor creature’s destruction. 

Comments

john said…
i don't like spiders either but they are fascinating creatures. excellent captures.
Janice K said…
I've never seen such a colorful spider. I love how all the background colors seem to blend with him.
Lona said…
Great shot Adrienne. I enjoy them from a far. LOL!
Alisa said…
Adrienne - this is fascinating! I love the colors. I think I need to consider a macro lens for a new twist.
Misty DawnS said…
Oh my goodness it is beautiful!!! Love the bokeh in the first photo too.
Kerri Farley said…
He's gorgeous!
I used to have panic attacks whenever I saw a spider - Seriously!! Now I find them fascinating .... but like you - if I walk into a web it gives me the heebie jeebies!
That spider shot is gorgeous!
Very exciting pictures on your blog!
Thanks for sharing

Popular Posts