A Lady Named “John”

A few weeks ago, Ethan excitedly told me that his class was going to raise butterflies.  I was happy for him as he talked about his caterpillar which lived in a little cup on his desk for a week.  Once the caterpillar crawled up to the lid and hung there to make a chrysalis, Ethan got to bring him home.
We taped the lid of the little cup to the inside of our butterfly habitat and waited for a couple of days.  Ethan thought it was interesting that as soon as the butterfly habitat was unfolded, Leila was sniffing and looking for something.  She remembered that fluttery things had lived in there before.
The chrysalis hung there for several days.  (I’m getting lax in my scientific observation—we should have kept track of the days.)  The butterfly eclosed while Ethan was at school, so I gave the butterfly some sliced orange and moved the habitat into the laundry room where I thought it would be safe from Leila. (Leila hates the laundry room—it’s where she gets a bath when necessary.)
painted lady butterfly - photo by Adrienne Zwart
When Ethan got home from school that day, we decided to let the butterfly go right away because Leila was still trying to catch it, knocking the habitat over in the process.  While we were sitting on the front porch, I asked Ethan what he named his caterpillar.  He said “John.”   “Oh,” I said. “That’s an interesting name for a Painted Lady butterfly.”  He just shrugged.  Of course, it very well could be a male—I can’t tell the difference.
boy waits for his butterfly to find the opening
John seemed reluctant to come out of the habitat, but eventually, he started crawling up the side toward the opening.
painted lady close up
Clearly, I need to practice a bit more with this macro lens.  The depth of field is so shallow, but it’s so very cool to be able to focus so up-close.
Finally, John made his way out of the habitat and fluttered over to our dogwood tree which had just started to bloom.
painted lady on korean dogwood macro photo by Adrienne Zwart
I think he’s rather handsome, don’t you?  

CCbadge

Comments

Snap said…
He is handsome. Good job! Happy Critter Day!
Well, I bet no other butterfly has been called John! :)

Beautiful shots and I've enjoyed reading the story behind them too.
Unknown said…
Great shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
Janice K said…
John sure has interesting eyes!

Your story reminded me of my two sons. They had a pet butterfly for a while that couldn't fly very well. They feed it sugar water, and took it along when we went to visit my parents so they could see "Bobby" (that was its name) too. Unfortunately my parents' dog thought Bobby was pretty sweet too, and ate it right up when it decided to fly from one of the boy's hands to the sidewalk. Poor Bobby...
Unknown said…
John is the prettiest lady I have seen in a very, very long time.

Love this post Adrienne! So beautiful!
Anonymous said…
John is beautiful as are the photos. I love how you captured Ethan...one of those wonderful moments in childhood. Know that I keep you in my prayers when I read your blog. As I have mentioned before, I lost my dad when I was 13. I still think of him often too.
Anita Johnson
Chubskulit Rose said…
Beautiful critter shots!

Late visiting for CC, hope you can take a peek at my Camera Critters too. Thanks!
Betty Manousos said…
amazing shots!

thanks so much for sharing!
love them all. i also love your blog.

betty

visiting via camera critters.
eileeninmd said…
Fantastic shots, the butterflis are beautiful.
anemonen said…
He is nice looking. Love butterflies.
Lona said…
John is such a handsome Butterfly. LOL! I think it is so interesting to watch the cycle of the butterflies. I am sure the kids like to watch and are fascinated by it. A very good learning experience.Beautiful pictures Adrienne.
Cathy said…
John is beautiful.
Deejbrown said…
Long live John, the Painted Lady!
Kerri Farley said…
Outstanding post!! John is Lovely!!
Kelly said…
...he's a gorgeous Painted Lady! :-) I love the shot of Ethan looking at the butterfly. The colors are so rich!
Sunray Gardens said…
I'm in Ohio also. Your photos are fantastic. I am your new follower. I would appreciate your stopping by when you have a chance and following. Have a nice weekend.
Cher Sunray Gardens
Oh yes, John is handsome, but Ethan is, too!
Unknown said…
So pretty : )
Such a lovely lady.

Popular Posts