Here We Grow Again…

I hope you are not tiring of my caterpillar updates.  This has just been such a fascinating experience for me to watch.
Last Tuesday, I noticed that the caterpillar had created a hammock of silk threads across the valley in the leaf’s center.  It seemed motionless all evening. And its black color was beginning to look more green.  I did not worry because I know the later instars of this species are green.  green and white caterpillar prepares to molt
By morning, all the black had turned green, and still it rested on its silken bed.
green and white caterpillar 

It must have molted sometime during the night on Thursday, because on Friday morning, it looked much bigger. This is further evidenced by the discarded mask of the face.  (You can see it below amongst the frass, the scientific name for bug poop.) This is the second time I have found the mask in the bottom of the container.  Perhaps it doesn’t taste good?  No nutritional value?  I’ll have to do some reading to find out if this is typical for caterpillars, or if this is an individual behavior.
tiger swallowtail caterpillar leave facemask behind
More to come.  I’ve got some great close-ups to share with you. 
CCbadge

Comments

Amazing Adrienne.... You are capturing history and LIFE in the making.... Congrats!!!!

Love seeing your posts.
Hugs,
Betsy
Unknown said…
Oh my goodness!! I love this Adrienne. I can't wait to show the boys.
Ali said…
Oh how neat! Ever since I was little I have loved watching caterpillars go through their cycles and metamorphosis. My sister and I used to raise Black Swallowtails every year as we had an abundance of caterpillars on one of my mom's plants. I raised a Monarch or two and even a Luna Moth, that was my favorite! I can't wait to see your next update =)
Carletta said…
Oh wow, what an experience!
Will come back to see more shots.
Michael said…
Fascinating little creature.
Valerie said…
I am loving the caterpillar updates! Such a fabulous process!

BTW the flower bud yesterday was a pink aster.
Hope today is a good one for you!

Valerie
Valerie said…
Sorry I have to post again here - Anita (from Wisconsin) is sharing her photos of her monarchs. I think you would really appreciate them as well - not sure if you have ever been to her blog - but definitely a great series she has going!

http://www.didyoubringyourcamera.blogspot.com/
Lona said…
What a strange looking caterpillar. Fascinating to watch its changes!
Misty DawnS said…
These posts are SO awesome! I've truly enjoyed this whole experience.
Janice K said…
This is so interesting. How neat to be able to watch it all!
Unknown said…
Good photos and good documentation!

Jim
Wow, one would never guess that was the same creature. It's getting prettier and prettier. Thanks for letting us share in this awesome experience.
Willard said…
Fascinating. It is good to document nature in this way.
Judy said…
Now he has a huge lower lip! He looks so odd!
Joanne Olivieri said…
I am really learning so much from these posts. It is so fascinating and entertaining. Your photos are fantastic.
squirrel said…
Well done! Your photos are nice and clear and most important you sound like you are haveing fun!
Dot O said…
Adrienne, these photos are amazing - such great closeups of things we have never seen before!!

Not tiring at all of looking at them. Will await to hear what you find out about the mask thing.
Mamastiks said…
The pics are amazing! Sadly, our tomato worms died, so no cocoon-watching for us. :( We'll keep following yours, though. :)

Popular Posts