Exception

You know that as soon as I told you how to tell the difference between damselflies and dragonflies based on their wings that there would be a critter that just doesn’t quite fit with either group, right?

There is often an exception to a rule. 

Meet a member of the Spreadwing damselfly family.  I am guessing that this is the Slender Spreadwing, but those with more experience please feel free to correct me.  Spreadwings neither fold their wings over their backs nor hold them down flat.  At rest, they hold their wings opened, only slightly folded back.
spreadwing damselfly blue eyes - photo by Adrienne Zwart
If the wing position leaves you wondering, you can also tell by looking at the eyes that this is a damselfly.  Both groups have large eyes, but a damselfly’s eyes are set wide on the sides of its head where a dragonfly’s eyes are set close together, sometimes even touching one another. A dragonfly’s eyes cover both the top and sides of its head. (You can click that link to view the contrast.)

I am finally poring over dragonfly field guides this week.  While it had several books on insects, our little branch library didn’t have any volumes dedicated to solely to dragonflies. So, I had to wait while some came through inter-library loan.  There is one book in particular that I am excited to share with you.  Check back soon for a review.

Comments

Snap said…
Amazing photos and a science lesson, too!
Unknown said…
You are a great teacher Adrienne. I am in the city today at a training but as soon as I get home I will show the boys. Xo
Did you take that great photo? First time to your blog... nice

Blessings,
Linda J
Thanks for the education, Adrienne... I truly do not know 'insects' --so I'm learning alot from you.
Hugs,
Betsy
EG CameraGirl said…
Great shot. I'm always on the look out for good nature guides. I love identifying them. OK, I sometimes DO get very frustrated but when I finally DO identify an insect or flower (or whatever) I get very excited, :)
Janice K said…
Great picture! She's so pretty.
Misty DawnS said…
Here is a link to a photo of a Spreadwing I photographed in June. It was a first for me, and after doing research, it is also a first sighting for our county! Hmmm Maybe I'll use it for Camera-Critters.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistydawns/4717699854/

I'm REALLY looking forward to your book review!!!
Craig Glenn said…
Great shot! Let me know when you ID him/her!

I am glad you found my blog too!

Look forward to following...

Craig Glenn
Craig's Birdwatching and Nature Blog
Joanne Olivieri said…
Thank you so much for the info. I have no idea how to tell them apart. I got a shot of one about a month ago and someone had to tell me what it was :D
Adrienne: What a neat find, Misty showed hers also. Two great minds.
Kerri Farley said…
Adreienne this is a FABULOUS shot! These guys are soooo little.
Very well done my friend!
FAB said…
Nice shooting Adrienne. Even with a decent ID guide I still have difficulty sorting out some species..but it's all part of the fun of learning. FAB.
Adrienne Zwart said…
The rim of white along the top edges of its wings confirms this is a Slender Spreadwing.
It sure is a beauty! Thanks for the further information. Isn't learning new things fun? Now, I have to refresh myself from time to time, or I won't remember.

Popular Posts