Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens

The weather has been so beautiful this week, sunny and breezy with low humidity and temperatures in the low 70’s. Perfect weather for visiting one of Akron’s most lovely spots.  Built on a former sandstone quarry, Stan Hywet was home to the F. A. Seiberling family (co-founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company). The manor house is a stunning example of Tudor-style architecture, but it’s the gardens that my kids and I come to see.
stan hywet hall manor house
The Great Garden features giant chess and checkerboards this year.  And the renovation of the Japanese Garden is now complete.  Another favorite is the conservatory, which formerly housed a butterfly exhibit in previous summers.  This year, the education department decided to feature ponds.  My children enjoyed watching a painted turtle and some fish.
life size chess
 conservatory at stan hywet hall


Comments

Snap said…
Gorgeous shots of a beautiful place!

Hugs ....
Lona said…
Oh what fun Adrienne. I would love to visit there. What a great giant Dragonfly too at the conservatory. Fabulous shots of the little ones playing chess. Have a great weekend.
Looks like a fabulous place to visit, Adrienne. I'm sure your kids enjoyed it... Love the home and that huge chess set.... Wow!!!!!!

Happy 4th.
Hugs,
Betsy
Ashley Ashbee said…
Hey Adrienne,

This looks like such a beautiful, fun family place! I love that house with the gardens. It's immaculate. A lot of work must go into it.

Glad to read about a family having some good old fashioned time together.

-Ashley
Misty DawnS said…
I want that dragonfly statue!!!

My dad was going to take me to Stan Hywett for the butterfly exhibit, but they closed it :-(
That's quite a place! I love your photos.

My dad is retired from the Nebraska Goodyear plant. I worked there for a short time when I was in my 20s. My brother has worked there a long time, but it was sold to another company a few years ago. He is barely able to hold days, but needs to because he is a widower with 2 sons, one, who is autistic and cannot be left alone.

It was interesting to see the place a family who started Goodyear owned.

Popular Posts