Damselfly

blue green damselfly photo by Adrienne in Ohio
Eastern Blue Forktail (Ischnura verticalis)
Have you ever wondered how to tell the difference between a dragonfly and a damselfly?  Perhaps you are among the many who thought  these winged creatures with long abdomens and large eyes were all called dragonflies.    I used to think so, too.  The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the wings when the insect rests.  If the pairs of wings remain open in an H-shape, then you are looking at a dragonfly.  Damselflies have hinged wings that allow them to fold both pairs of wings over their backs as shown above.

I did quite a bit of comparing photos to determine this ID.  There are many species of damselflies, some with minor differences in appearance.  Noting that the blue spot covers the last two whole segments of the abdomen and has small black marks within the blue on the side, I believe this to be the Eastern Blue Forktail. 

You can find a good photographic comparison guide here and some helpful diagrams here.  I checked BugGuide.net as well to confirm my decision.  I’m thinking my next field guide purchase should be one on dragonflies and damselflies.  We have so many thanks to the creek that runs beside our home. 

Comments

Misty DawnS said…
I REALLY want to get some dragonfly/damselfly reference books! I'd also like reference books on butterflies, birds, and flowers too. In other words, I really want lots of references books. hehehe
Thanks Adrienne for the explanation.. I certainly do not know my bugs (or butterflies)... You did get a great picture though...

Hugs,
Betsy
Unknown said…
I never wondered but I am glad to know all the same now. You are a wonderful teacher!
Unknown said…
I just showed this to Kaishon and Naji!

Kaishon asked if dragon flies have four wings. I don't know. I should google it.
Deejbrown said…
How about some photo hints? Lovely post; now I can't wait to go out and find my next damselfly!
Adrienne Zwart said…
DeeJ, I was having such trouble focusing because the insect is very slender, and so was the stalk on which it was resting. The automatic focus kept zooming in on the little purple flowers in the background instead. So I decided to shoot in manual focus, which was a bit of a challenge because it was breezy, too. This was the clearest of the five shots I took.

Camera- Canon EOS Rebel xSi
Lens - 50 mm 1.4
Shutter priority mode 1/40
ISO - 100 (Sky was overcast, but still very bright)

I have a set of macro magnifiers that I want to try out, but I haven't done it yet. Probably would have made this a lot easier to capture the details.
Flo de Sendai said…
Hi Adrienne, your photos are very beautiful !
a really lovely photo! It looks like he (she?) is posing for the camera!
I love the colors and details of the damselfly. Nice photo!
Kerri Farley said…
Superb! I actually learned the difference between then two when I first started blogging from a fellow blogger. It's wonderful how we all learn from each other :)
Anonymous said…
I love finding someone else who is as fascinated by these creatures as I. We have both, and my boy being who he is has caught both. He is finally acquiesing to the "leave no trace" theory of Scouting, thankfully. Here is another site that is helpful in id'ing insects and other critters: http://giffbeaton.com/. He is a local photographer, so his site is more cogent to Georgia and the S.E., but you may still find some helpful photos for ID purposes in there. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy YOUR captures; not sure how you do what you do with a point and shoot, but I love it!
Adrienne Zwart said…
Pam, I've been to his site as well. In fact, it's one of the hyperlinks above. I loved how he posted several different photos of each species: male, female, different resting positions. It made it so easy to compare.

This particular photo was shot with my DSLR, but my little point and shoot Canon does a great job--a good little camera I can tuck into my purse or large pocket. I think I'm able to go back and forth so easily because they're both Canons. The buttons all have the same icons.

The DSLR has more focusing versatility, and it definitely produces sharper images. (When I've got it focused right, that is.)
Look at you go! This is amazing!!

Popular Posts