Franklin Park Conservatory Re-Visited

Time sure can get away from me!  I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I’d share with you more about the Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus.  I shot way too many photos and was trying to decide which ones to post.  Here’s just a glimpse of this fantastic place.
chiluly exhibit Franklin Park
Of course the conservatory has several rooms filled with various types of plants.  But Franklin Park also features a butterfly exhibit, glass-blowing demonstrations, and a permanent collection of Dale Chihuly glass art. 

franklin park conservatory desert room   Desert Room


interactive chihuly play area
There’s a play area downstairs in the center of the building with Chihuly-inspired plastic pieces for kids to use in creating their very own masterpiece.


waterfallWaterfall in the Tropics Room


swallowtail butterfly photo by Adrienne Zwart
Not sure what kind of butterfly this is.  Any ideas on the ID?  It reminds me very much of some of our native swallowtail species.  A Central or South-American cousin, most likely.

green butterfly lands on girls fingers
Megan was photographing some newly-released Blue Morpho butterflies when this little fellow decided to land on her hand.  I believe this one is called a Green Malachite, but I am not certain.  Most of the butterflies in the exhibit are non-native species.

glassblower demonstration at Franklin Park
The other fascination for our children was the glass-blowing demonstration.  We sat and watched as the artisan made two glass vessels.  By the time he was done, all three of my kids wanted to know if they could learn how to do this craft.  And actually, the Conservatory does offer glass-blowing lessons…
…for those aged 16 and up, that is.  Their smiles faded but quickly returned when I suggested we choose a piece of glass from the gift shop upstairs.  We are now the proud owners of an amber-colored bud vase.
hot vase
This is definitely a place I would highly recommend for a family outing.    There is a delightful cafe with healthy menu choices for both adults and children.  We were quite pleased with the quality of the ingredients and the friendliness of the staff.  Or you could bring a picnic and enjoy the beautiful grounds outside.  Either way, take your time and make a day of it.  We are so glad we did.

Tips when visiting Franklin Park Conservatory:


  • Memebership has its privileges. If you happen to be a member of your local botanical garden, you will be happy to know that Franklin Park Conservatory participates in a reciprocal membership program.  Showing your membership card here will earn you free or discounted admission.  For a list of participating gardens by state, visit the American Horticultural Society’s publication here
  • The Conservatory is handicapped-accessible, however we found some of the pathways very narrow and difficult to navigate with our full-sized wheelchair.  The facility does have some wheelchairs available which are probably better suited for the narrow paths.

Comments

Snap said…
What a wonderful place! Great photos and looks like lots of fun.
Unknown said…
Holy wow. This place sounds like so much fun! I love that they give lessons! Kaish would be all over that too! And then devastated when he learned he would have to wait 6 years! So exciting that you got a pretty piece of your own. You are such a great Mommy : )
What a neat place, Adrienne.... I love watching glass-blowing. I have a rose vase made by a glass-blower near Jamestown, VA...

Great pictures. I really enjoyed your visit there!!! Makes me want to see it myself...
Hugs,
Betsy
heidiannie said…
I love the Franklin Conservatory! We went in the midst of the very snowy winter and it was a step into warmth and beauty. It looks even more beautiful in the Spring- I'm going to have to go back soon! Thanks for sharing your pictures of your family as well, Adrienne.
May God bless you all richly!
I see that you DID say this was a green malachite butterfly in the next post. I thought you were speaking metaphorically.
I just checked out Franklin Conservatory and see that the special Chihuly exhibit ended in March. About 3 years ago I attended a wedding at the Conservatory. What a beautiful space! And of course, got to admire the permanent Chilhuly collection.
I was fortunate to be in Phoenix last April when there was a major Chilhuly exhibit in the Desert Botanical Garden. It was so inspiring! I took copious photos, but have yet to put any on my blog. There was a butterfly exhibit as well. I spent about 4 in the gardens completely in awe of the plants, glass, butterflies, simply the beauty and intricacies of nature and the art inspired thereby.
Oh, and I think I spy a tie dye shirt;)
Adrienne Zwart said…
Margaret, you are right that the major exhibit of Chihuly ended in March. In fact, we missed some of the pieces because they were already boxing them up. Their collection is quite impressive! And while they put most away, I do believe they still feature some of his artwork throughout the gardens.
And yes, you do spy a tie-dye shirt. :) They all love them, and I think I need to put in a new order so the boys can have some short-sleeved ones, too.
I am so curious about how "they" box up all those pieces, transport them, and install them just so.

Popular Posts