Ladybug – Camera Critters

When my daughter and I were outside on last Sunday (during the few hours that it wasn’t raining) we saw this little creature on an oak leaf.    It is a ladybug beetle emerging from the pupa form. 
 nymph
Many insects go through several moltings as they grow, the last one resulting in the mature insect.  Most nymphs bear some resemblance to the mature form.  I do not think this is true in the case of ladybugs except perhaps for the coloring.  They look a lot like little black alligators.  In the last molt, the nymphs curl up and attach themselves to a leaf and remain inactive in this pupa form for about three to twelve days depending on the temperature and species.
ladybug nymph shedding photo by Adrienne Zwart
Had I known what I was looking at, I would have stayed outside and watched to see the fully emerged beetle.  This one is almost halfway emerged from the pupa which is the orange section with black spots.  I am guessing that this is the Asian Multi-colored Lady Beetle species.* And it is very likely that this little fellow will eat a few aphids till it gets to be too cold and then make his way under my house siding to spend the winter.  (Hopefully, he will stay out of my shower.)
*(Once I knew that this was a ladybug and went back out to observe more closely, it was already gone.  I recognize the nymphs and the beetles, but I’d never seen them curled up in their pupal form before.)
Well, that’s my Camera Critter post for today.  Have you photographed any interesting creatures this week?  If you’d like to share them with the rest of us, click on the button below and follow the linking instructions there.
CCbadge

Comments

We love Luna said…
wow this critter is so small!Fabulous macro shot!
Happy camera critters dear Adrienne, a blessed Sunday to you and your adorable family!
purrs and love
Luna
Great find, Adrienne! Very nice macro shots.
Very sharp macro.
as sharp as that finger nail. ;)
squirrel said…
Way cool. I have never seen one at this stage before. Thanks for sharing. Nice photography.
Anya said…
Hi Adrienne
Its a amazing macro shot
Little but great ^__^
She is talented just like her Mom ;)
Have a nice weekend
Anya :)
eileeninmd said…
Great shot and a neat critter capture.
Adrienne: I saw one in the Spring and had to identify it so I knew what it was. You got some neat photos and great information.
Linda said…
What great observation.
SandyCarlson said…
That's an excellent discovery. Thanks so much for sharing that. This critter is new to me.
Kerri Farley said…
I always learn something new when I visit! I LOVE ladybugs!
Tulip said…
what a cutie lady bug, love its colorful colors.
magiceye said…
wow
that was amazing!
VALKYRIEN said…
That is a great find! I have only seen the ladybug as a grownup!
Thanks for your nice visit!
Calico Crazy said…
Great photos and information, I learned a lot. I used to live in an apartment building where the ladybugs came in through the vents. Every year in late October we would suddenly have them everywhere. Yuck!

Calico Contemplations
amatamari© said…
Uh really impressive!
Quilt Works said…
Great Macro! (and nice looking hand - you shold be a hand model :-))



Cast your vote for which of my artworks should be the next free giveaway
Unknown said…
This is facinating! I had no idea : ) Thank you for teaching me something new today Adrienne : )
Lona said…
Now how interesting is that.Wow, I never saw one coming out in that stage of metamorphism before. Great Macro shots Adrienne.
so cool! I have never seen this before either. I must share this with my ladybug loving daughter.
Misty DawnS said…
Adrienne! This is SO cool! What an awesome post!

Popular Posts