Sneezeweed – Skywatch Friday

I love the wetland/prairie conservation area at our local park.  A walking trail surrounds and winds through one corner of it allowing for great views of the wildflowers and all sorts of creatures, too.  I have always loved flowers, but since I have been photographing them, I am amazed at all the different wildflowers there are.
 sneezeweed in Boettler Park photo by Adrienne Zwart
The prairie area at the park is awash in golds and purples from goldenrods and asters, but there are other flowers here as well.  This yellow one caught my eye because it reminded me of a little golden ball wearing a bright yellow tutu.  It’s called Sneezeweed—not a very alluring name for such a pretty little flower. I learned that the name is not a reference to a potential allergic response, rather it refers to the once-common practice of pulverizing the leaves into snuff.
I wish I would have taken some macros of this plant, but it was while I was taking this photo that I noticed the spider and her web that I featured a few days ago.  You can view a nice close-up of this flower posted by the Connecticut Botanical Society.  Sneezeweed grows in wet meadows and swamps.
I’m learning that photographing yellow in bright sunlight is just as difficult as photographing white.  Yellow just seems to absorb the light leaving my photo feeling overexposed.  Any suggestions for compensating for this are welcome.
skywatch

Comments

Carletta said…
The blue of the sky and the contrasting yellow make this beautiful!
I took some photos of a yellow field of flowers of this - all dismal offerings. :) It's overcast today so I'm going to try again.

Carletta’s Captures.
Carol said…
What a beautiful photo....and interesting info about this flower....have you tried a lens hood...
Linnea said…
This is a beautiful shot with such soft colors. I like the perspective, too...
Beautiful Adrienne.. When I first read the word, Sneezewood, I thought you were going to say that the allergies of Fall had bitten you.... ha ha

I've never heard of a flower named Sneezewood... Not too appealing as a name, is it???? ha

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Valerie said…
I like it. I am amazed at how much I am learning about birds, and flowers and plants, as I take their pictures and then read about them so I can make sense of them. Green, white, yellow and white= a perfect combination! Beautiful as usual!
Pat said…
That's a great angle you used to capture the pretty sneezeweed and lovely blue sky!
eileeninmd said…
I too love the angle of the flowers against the sky. Very pretty.
LauraHinNJ said…
I love the perspective in this shot!
Cathy said…
Cool flower! Great photo
Kelly said…
...I love the meadows too and also have found photographing yellow is difficult--yellow and orange. I need to study up on how to do it. My flowers always seem so flat in these colors. (I like yours, however....I think your yellows are perfect i this photo.....love the composition and seeing the sky and lots of plants.)
The blue of the sky looks wonderful with the yellow blooms I've also heard called Helen's flower.

Your yellow looks good here. I have trouble with yellow blooms, too.
I looked at your photo and thought "That would be an amazing spot to take senior photos at!!" Hee! Our minds never stop thinking without connecting our thought to a camera. :)

Popular Posts