Red-headed Bush Cricket

Yesterday, my daughter and I were wandering in the yard.  The neighbors’ cat, Miss Georgie, came trotting over to socialize as she always does when we are in the garden. georgie3 (Perhaps she thinks she is doing us a service by presenting herself for stroking so we won’t have to pull weeds.)  At any rate, she is a very affectionate cat and could be the twin of our indoor cat Onyx. 
Georgie2 As my daughter played with her and held her, I was snapping away, of course.  Somewhere near the garden bench we could hear a cricket singing loudly.  Georgie got bored with the photography session and came to sit near me.  As I looked down, I saw a bit of movement out of the corner of my eye.  I bent down just in time to see a little critter disappear to the underside of a leaf. 
red-headed bush cricket Red-headed Bush Cricket (Phyllopalpus pulchellus)
Setting the camera focus to Macro, I carefully turned the leaf over to discover the tiniest of crickets with the most unusual coloring.  He was no longer than my fingernail (if you don’t count his antennae or his outstretched legs.) His head and thorax are bright red, and his abdomen is glossy black with beautifully-textured wings.  His legs and antennae are a creamy gold.  I’m including this last photo even though it’s a bit out of focus so that you can see how long the antennae were.  As for the fleshy black appendages protruding from his face?  They are the maxillary palpi, antenna-like structures that serve a sensory function. 
red-headed bush cricket photo by Adrienne in Ohio
Photography has added another dimension to my lifelong fascination with nature.  With each new encounter, I am able to document this quest for knowledge and understanding not only with journaling but with photos as well.  The camera has proved invaluable in those fleeting moments when a creature arrives, pauses just for a moment and then is gone in a blink of an eye (and hopefully in the click of a shutter).  Though I was only able to glimpse the subject, I can study the photograph for as long as I like.

Comments

Kelly said…
....loved the post. I've never seen a red-headed bush cricket, but I've never looked for one. I'm learning the same way you are about insects. Observing, photographing, researching. Thanks for the info! Now I have something else to watch for!!
Kerri Farley said…
What an absolutely fabulous find! I am hearing a lot of crickets - but not seeing them. I've NEVER seen one like this! LOVE It!
Lona said…
What a great catch. I do not believe I have ever saw one.
Anonymous said…
I have seen crickets -- lots of them -- but none this beautiful.
The macros make things look so much larger, don't they Adrienne??? I've heard crickets all of my life---but not sure I've ever seen them... Thanks for this post..

The neighbor's kitty is a cutie also... Bet your inside cat would be jealous!!!!! ha

Hugs,
Betsy
heidiannie said…
Thanks for the lesson and the wonder of this beautiful little creature! The only crickets I've ever seen live in my garage and serenade us in the early evening.
DeniseinVA said…
Two happy encounters, one with the beautiful cat and another with that incredible little cricket. Great macro's on the insect Adrienne, especially considering how tiny he was. Photography certainly has opened up our world. Like you I have become fascinated with such things.
Shelley said…
I have to say that's the prettiest cricket I've ever seen! Loved the photos of the kitty too - she is beautiful!
Plattner Ranch said…
Thanks for the post! I saw it earlier this week, and just yesterday I saw one drinking and cleaning itself in some water on a table outside! That was neat to know what it was after having seen it on your blog!!!
I am not a cat person and I still have to say that Miss Georgie is beautiful!

Guess what my kids carried into the house yesterday...a SNAKE. For some reason I didn't think to grab my camera while I was screaming hysterically for them to GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE.

Your bug is freaking me out a bit, but now nearly as much as that snake did. lol!
Redzlan said…
Beautiful macro, and love colour of Red-headed Bush Cricket
Adrienne: What a neat little bug, love the little antenna.
Cezar and Léia said…
Dear Adrienne
Your posts are always full of good positive feelings!
Amazing encounters, the cat is so adorable and the cricket is very special!Cool pictures!
Léia
Anonymous said…
Great photos. I've never seen this kind of cricket. Very beautiful cat as well. Thank you for keeping your cat indoors!!
Rhea said…
Pretty, friendly neighbor kitty! And that cricket is so unique looking! I've never seen one like that.

I love your header photos too, btw. Very nice!
Unknown said…
That cat is so beautiful. Wow! I love it : ) And the cricket is colored so beautifully!
Deejbrown said…
Macro life is fascinating and is truly the wings beneath our wings. Incredible photos, clear and sensitive writing! Thanks for opening up the world a little more!
Linda said…
It's so true that photography leads to all sorts of other discoveries.

The expression on that cat's face just says 'born to be admired'!

Popular Posts