Banded Garden Spider – Camera Critters

As I was photographing wildflowers yesterday, a sparkle caught my eye down near my feet.  I was delighted to see these concentric strands of diamonds catching the early morning sunlight.  I was even more delighted to find the spider right in the center so I didn’t have to wonder whether or not it might be crawling up my leg!  This is the female Banded Garden Spider Argiope trifasciata.  Garden spiders weave orb webs with a distinctive zig-zag pattern in the center. 
banded garden spider photo by Adrienne Zwart
No, this photo isn’t upside down.  These garden spiders hang onto their webs head-down.  I found some fascinating information on garden spiders and their web-construction that suggest this head-down position helps the spider maintain its body heat as it absorbs the warmth from the sun through its abdomen. 
This is the first time I’ve seen the banded garden spider.  We frequently see the yellow garden spiders around our home at this time of year.  They have a striking yellow and black pattern on their abdomens. 
Clicking on the button below will take you to Camera Critters, a photography-sharing meme for animal pictures of all kinds. 
CCbadge

Comments

??? said…
She's beautiful. Great shot!
Bradley Hsi said…
We have shown a spider not too long ago
http://graceandbradley.blogspot.com/2009/08/nephila-pilipes.html
I also notice that they are always head down. Your reason may explain it. thanks for sharing.
eileeninmd said…
Well, I learned something new today. Thanks for sharing the spider photo and the info.
Snap said…
Wow! Always nice to learn something new and I'll have to pay attention to see the spiders hanging upside in the garden! Great photo!
Dimple said…
Spiders are very interesting! I like them except in my house! Thanks for the photos and lesson!
said…
That is one impressive and intimidating creature! Not to mention an excellent photo!
Carletta said…
I agree - excellent photo Adrienne
This little guy sews better than I do. :)

Carletta’s Captures.
Wow, the web turned out as clearly as the spider! Awesome! I used to see these in my vegetable garden, but haven't lately.

Thanks for leaving the insect identification site. I've heard of it, but keep forgetting to check it out.
Beautiful photo, Adrienne. Spiders make me chill---but you captured a neat one for sure.
Hugs,
Betsy
Adrienne: Very nice capture, I chased one around trying to get a close macro.
Unknown said…
Love this shot! I don't think I've ever seen this spider before but from now on I'm going to pay more attention to spiders to see whether their heads are up or down.
magiceye said…
a beautiful photograph garnished by some interesting information about garden spiders. thank you for sharing.
DeniseinVA said…
A lovely shot Adrienne. I'm intrigued by spiders now that I can take close-ups of them. Their webs are always a wonderful art form.
heidiannie said…
Your children are blessed with a mother who looks for the spider "sparkles" in her life. And your friends are blessed with your great photography and curiosity. I think you are just a blessing, Adrienne!
Thanks for sharing!
Kelly said…
....ohhh....very cool web and spider. I love your description of the sparkle and the strands of diamonds--perfectly captures that feel of a web! I didn't know you were close to Lakeside. It is the cutest town. I want to come back with Rick and Matty some time.
nonizamboni said…
I've met up with these creatures once myself! And what beauties they are. Your blog is beautiful too.
Blessings!
Loran said…
What a great capture!
Lona said…
What a fascinating photo. Isn't their webs so interesting. The zipper like look down the middle always got my attention. It must serve a purpose somehow.

I got some pictures of the swans at Lake Logan this weekend. I was so excited, like a kid in a candy shop ;-)

Also the lobelia that I grow is an annual but there are perennials also.
Carolina said…
Great shot. Outside my kitchen window a big European Garden spider (araneus diadematus) built his/her web. I'm leaving it there because its fascinating to see how it handles the flies that are caught in the web. Food preparation going on at both sides of the window ;-)
Tammy said…
Great spider picture! Thanks for the information link. We're homeschoolers, and I bookmarked it for science. We'll probably have to watch Charlotte's Web now. LOL
Tammy said…
Adrienne,
Hi again, Just letting you know how I came across your blog. I was reading some of the Camera Critter posts here http//camera-critters.blogspot.com/ and you're number 6.
I'm glad to have found you. Thanks for your comment on my blog.
I hate spiders but I love spiderweb shots. So cool!

Popular Posts