Western Green Hairstreak

It’s pet week over at I Heart Faces, and since I haven’t been able to convince Leila to sit still for a photo lately, I thought I’d share a nature shot from our trip.  The rules don’t require that the animal be an actual pet, so this image still qualifies.  Besides, it fits right in with the theme of my Road Trip Recap series.  (I’ll get back to my regular recap posts later this week.  Bear with me as I jump ahead to share this photo with you.)
green butterfly on yellow wildflower - photo by Adrienne Zwart
We stopped at the Fire Tower near Jacob's Lake Inn, AZ to visit the fireman on duty and search for a geocache.  I followed several of these butterflies around an open area while the kids climbed the fire tower.  As far as I can tell, this butterfly is a variety of Western Green Hairstreak.  There is some current disagreement among experts as to whether the different varieties are actually sub-species of the Western Green Hairstreak or should simply be considered variations of the same species.  I can’t offer any opinion there, but I do know that this was quite possibly one of the most beautiful butterflies I have ever seen. 
I_Heart_Faces_noborder_125x100

Comments

Adrienne Zwart said…
A friend at BugGuide.Net identified this as the sub-species Canyon Green Hairstreak (Callophrys affinis apama). Thanks, David!
Dana Suggs said…
HOW BEAUTIFUL is this!!! WOW! I've tried and tried and tried to capture butterflies, and have failed very miserably. I have some nice pictures of flowers though that once held the butterfly....but never the butterfly....
Kerri Farley said…
What a Gorgeous Creature! Green is my fave color - and this one wears it well :)
Janice K said…
Great picture! I love how the background also has some of the same shades of green as the butterly.
Anita Johnson said…
What a beauty! We have had many swallowtail butterflies this summer, very few monarchs. I love the color of this one...beautiful!
Lona said…
How pretty Adrienne. The green is so pretty. Beautiful photograph.
Wow! The butterfly is so pretty! I haven't had any luck photographing butterflies either. Gorgeous photo!
Jennifer said…
So beautiful...the colors are wonderful!
Christina said…
Beautiful capture!
Wow--he's gorgeous, Adrienne... I love that color. What a great job you did of capturing this one.
Hugs,
Betsy
Kelly said…
...the metallic green is gorgeous! I've really been enjoying your posts on your cross-country trek. WOW! What an adventure...
Teachinfourth said…
The coloration is fantastic!
Buckeroomama said…
What a fantastic capture! So beautiful.
Misty DawnS said…
Wow! It's absolutely beautiful! Fantastic photo, Adrienne!
Beertje Zonn said…
Beautiful photo!

Greetings, Beertje Zonn

Popular Posts