Road Trip Recap {Part 4}

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is located just south of Colorado Springs.  We learned the hard way that this zoo isn’t included in our annual zoo pass, but we decided to stay and check it out anyway.  The giraffes are the star attraction here, and it was fun to watch so many of them.
  Baby Giraffe          Skipper butterfly
On the mountain above the zoo, a stone tower stood alone overlooking the valley.  We asked about it as we purchased our tickets and were told that visiting the structure was included in our admission ticket.  The cashier told us that it was called The Shrine of the Sun and was also a monument to Will Rogers.  I thought that was odd, but we decided to go up and check it out.  I guess I don’t think of shrines and cowboys having much in common.
stone tower in Colorado Springs
shrine of the sun            stone tower
It was fun playing with my 16-35 mm lens here.  But you can see from the photo on the left that it does distort a bit when it’s at the lower focal lengths.  I walked back to one of the gardens and zoomed all the way in to 35 mm for the second shot.  Much better.
There is a sweeping view of the valley from the terraces.
lookout view of Colorado Springs
We also visited Seven Falls state park.  The people who work there are very nice, and my kids enjoyed the gift shops, but compared to the bang for your buck that you get with the National Parks, the $27 admission fee was much too high.  In my humble opinion.
kids pose at Seven Falls
IMG_3305
I did see a new bird there, so maybe it was worth it after all.  This is the American Dipper, and it is such a fascinating little bird.  I was looking down at the stream when I first noticed it bobbing and walking down into the water.  They walk along the streambed, completely submersed at times while they hunt for insects in the water.  It was quite entertaining to watch.
brown bird with stubby tail - photo by adrienne zwart
I’m linking up to Camera Critters with this post, since there are a few animal shots included. 
Camera_Critters_Post_Header2a

Comments

Snap said…
It has been 35 years (or more) since I've been to Colorado Springs. I really enjoyed seeing your photos. Very different landscape from your home! Love giraffes and so neat you got to watch a new to you bird, the American Dipper. Looks like he was named properly! Great looking kids! :D :D
Charlene N. K. said…
What an interesting road trip you have had with all these animals, sceneries and kids' smiles captured beautifully!
Gorgeous photos, Adrienne... Yes---that was a steep price for a state park but the view was great.... Loved that little birdie also. I've never seen one.

Love that shrine... How neat... Glad you all got to see it. What a great day you had.

Hugs,
Betsy
Misty DawnS said…
What a wonderful trip. What a cute little Dipper too... oh wait, that's a constellation. hehe ;-)
Lona said…
I do not get the Shrine of the Sun and Will Rogers thing either. LOL! It is different though.I love the panoramic view of the valley below.
Very nice photos.

Regards!
Karin said…
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog and FB. I look forward to following your blog and continuing to pray for your sweet family. I followed your Caring Bridge site when your husband was sick and prayed for your family often. I'm so happy to see you doing well and to see how well God is taking care of you. BTW, my oldest son is in the Army at Ft Carson near Co Springs. Love it out there!
Judy said…
I agree with you about the beauty of giraffes! They are so graceful that you forget what large animals they are!!
My favourite shot is the one beside the giraffe, though - the butterfly with the plant out of focus behind it.
Kelly said…
...you got to see an American Dipper!! I've always wanted to see one. I need to get out west... What an adventure you had!!

Popular Posts