Beech Creek Butterfly House

In mid-July, we attended an outing with our church kids to visit the Beech Creek Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve in Alliance, OH.  There were lots of butterflies, but even more caterpillars.
Spicebush Swallotail Caterpillar
One of the volunteers unfurled a spicebush leaf to reveal this Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillar.  These caterpillars spin a bit of silk, curling the leaf over themselves for a hiding place.  Preferring spicebush shrubs, these swallowtail caterpillars have also be found on sassafrass, tulip trees, or camphor trees.
IMG_4529
Variegated Frittilary on a white coneflower.
Our little friend Hannah found this striking caterpillar on the path.  The volunteers were unable to identify it.  This little guy probably came in from outside or hitched a ride on one of the plants they had brought into the exhibit. 
green and red caterpillar
After searching through my favorite bug ID site, I believe this is the caterpillar for the Double-lined prominent moth. (Lochmaeus bilineata) There is another similar species, but this caterpillar seems to fit best with the L. bilineata description. You can view the moth here: BugGuide.Net
green and red caterpillar
I’ll be back this week to share more.  I’m linking up to Camera Critters for the first time in a while.  Hi, Misty!
CCbadgehttp://camera-critters.blogspot.com/2011/07/camera-critters-173.html

Comments

Cheryl said…
Beautiful captures and fascinating critters.
Anonymous said…
Wonderful shots. Love the butterfly one in particular.
nonizamboni said…
What great captures--up close and personal. All of their habits are so amazing.
Excellent photos.

Regards!
Anonymous said…
I do believe your caterpillar and butterfly photos (along with your in-depth knowledge) are my favorites. I think you're the best that I've seen, particularly with caterpillars!
Janice K said…
Great pictures! I'm glad you posted the second picture of the last one. I couldn't tell which end was the front end at first.
Anita Johnson said…
Caterpillars are so interesting aren't they...and then they change into something even more amazing. Crazy and fun!
Unknown said…
I am so glad to see your blog again. I missed you!
Valerie said…
great close ups Adrienne!
Misty DawnS said…
That last caterpillar is really cool looking!

Popular Posts