Camera Critters – Chick


eggs in incubator photo by Adrienne Zwart Ethan’s class has been raising chicks for their science unit at school.  They patiently waited and charted as the eggs incubated for 21 days.  He was so excited to tell me that they candled the eggs one day to see the chicks inside.  (The teacher held the eggs in front of the projector light, producing a shadow of the embryos inside the eggs.)  Some eggs never developed, and they called these “breakfast eggs.”
Well, last Tuesday, the first of the chicks began to hatch.  They named the first one “Sunlight.”   I was impressed.  I would have expected “Fluffy” or “Fuzzball” or something more like a nickname—these are Kindergarteners, after all.  But “Sunlight” it was, a perfect reference to a ball of bright yellow fluff.
Their feathers are growing in now.  I got to see them yesterday while I volunteered for the afternoon.  I love the little cheeping sound they make, and they are so cute running around their cage.  “Sunlight” is Ethan’s favorite, so I had to take a photo for him.
chick photo by Adrienne Zwart
I’m looking forward to checking out the other entries over at Camera Critters.  It’s been a couple of weeks since I participated. 
CCbadge

Comments

Oh what a cutie pie, Adrienne... And the name is PERFECT. What a great experience for your son...

Have a great weekend. How is Jeff?
Hugs,
Betsy
Very cute! Such an interesting thing for the kids to do too :)
paige said…
That is the cutest little baby chick! I love him. Her. It. I love it!
Snap said…
I think I'm in love with little Sunlight! What a great school project! Hugs--
Unknown said…
Sunlight is a gorgeous chick :) and I am way impressed with that name too! love it! I miss having chicks and chickens. My Dad raised them when we were growing up. What an adventure : )
Ali said…
Aww what a little cutie! My DS loves baby chicks, we always get to go to my friend's house when she gets her chicks in the spring and he loves watching them. That's great that your son's class actually got to watch them hatch!
Coy Hill said…
That certainly is a cute little peep Adrienne. What a great class project.
Lona said…
Chicks are so cute when they are little. That was a fun project for them.
Deejbrown said…
Sunlight! I love this name. Hope this little chick lives up to it!
Shelley said…
Sunlight is a wonderful name and he's such a cute little fellow! I can see why he's your son's favorite! When I was in elementary school, we got to hatch baby quail - at least I think that's what it was. My memory is going - lol!
Kerri Farley said…
Sunlight is a PERFECT name and what a sweetie!!
Judy said…
Sometimes I miss having a kid that age - they can be so perceptive! And Sunlight is a sweetie, all right!
Judy said…
Adrienne, these irises are not from my garden, but from the gardens at the horticulture department at the local college. The only way I know the names is by finding the label... Wait a week till you see the peonies!
Valerie said…
Love that baby chick! Soo cute -
and the feet - I love the feet!
Misty DawnS said…
Awwwww Sunlight is adorable! I love the name!
heidiannie said…
So where will the chicks be when they are full blown Chickens? Sunlight is so very cute- I,too, like the FEET!
Adrienne Zwart said…
The chicks go back to the farmer who is involved with his local 4-H group. Having already been handled from very early on, the chicks make great projects for the young 4-H members to raise.
Anonymous said…
What a precious photo!!
I bet Sunlight looks a lot different now! You should take another photo to post.

By the way, if you want to widen your sidebar, you can go to the layout section, and click on the width button dealy. I think that's what it was called. I think it's the last one.

Popular Posts