Happy Anniversary Camera Critters!

Our kids were off for spring break this week, so we planned a short get-away to Columbus.  Our favorite place we visited was the Franklin Park Conservatory.  I’ll be writing more about that this week as time allows.  For today, I wanted to share with you some photos of the hatching case from their butterfly exhibit.  I could have stood there all day watching the various butterflies and moths emerge.
These are Luna Moths (Actias luna) and their cocoons. 
luna moth close-up   When first the moths emerge, their wings are crumpled and their abdomens are swollen.  As the moth clutches the cocoon, it will pump the fluid from it’s abdomen into its wings.
luna moth emerging from cocoon
The feathery antennae are one of the easiest ways to distinguish moths from butterflies.  In the background on the right, another moth is emerging.
luna moth dries wings
Wings fully extended, the Luna moth will continue to hang suspended from its former home until its wings have fully hardened.  The exhibit staff person told us that it takes about 3 hours from the time they “hatch” to the time they are released into the exhibit.
For the sake of perspective, I really should start carrying a small ruler along and include one photo for scale.  Since I did not though, you’ll have to trust me when I say that the cocoons ranged from 2.5 to 3 inches in length.  This moth was about 5.5 inches long from tip to tail.  Average wingspan is about 4.5 inches.

image

Comments

heidiannie said…
I'm going to Columbus today! I think I'm talking my family into going to the Conservatory just to see the emergent moths and butterflies!
Snap said…
Wonderful photos and look forward to see more from the Conservatory. Happy Easter and Happy Critter Day!
What an awesome experience to see the moth emerging from the cocoon! I'm glad you said how big it was, because I wouldn't have guessed that. I enjoyed your other posts on this page, too. It sounds like you've been enjoying God's creation.
Carletta said…
How very cool!
The Luna moth isn't always easy to find and see. This was a wonderful opportunity.
We saw one the year we moved here and I researched it. One of the largest in North America as I recall.
I hope you and your family have a very Happy and Blessed Easter!
How fabulous, Adrienne... This is perfect for Easter also. Glad you and the family made the trip to Columbus. Can't wait to see more pictures from the Franklin Park Conservatory. LOVED the pictures you showed today. WOW!!!

Happy Easter to you and your family.
Hugs,
Betsy
Unknown said…
I loved this Adrienne! Kaishon and Shoshi loved it as well! They made me print the pictures. Thank you for sharing something so amazing.
Michael said…
Great macros of these critters and their cocoons.
Susan Cook said…
Wow, that must have been fascinating. Very cool photos you took!

Thanks for sharing. :)
EG CameraGirl said…
What a wonderful place to take kids...or for kids to take adults with cameras! Nice photos!
LeAnn said…
Wow, that was awesome!!!
Kerri Farley said…
Fabulous series of shots!!
I love luna moths. They just go to show that moths can be just as pretty as butterflies. Love how you took a progressive series.

Jessica
What a treat to have witnessed that! Luna moths are so beautiful! I was lucky enough to see one at the butterfly house in Ames, Iowa. I have never saw one in the wild.
Anonymous said…
I sure am glad you posted this. I have saved one case, similar to this and it is still there and has survived the winter. I don't know what is in it but hope to find out soon. Reminds me, I need to go out and take a couple of pictures of it.
Shelley said…
Very fascinating to get an up close look at this moth! Nice photos!!
Dot O said…
Adrienne, these photos are positively amazing! Thanks for the brief description of what's going on and for the size dimensions - it really does help put it in perspective.

Glad you had a nice getwaway.
Deejbrown said…
These are the miracles I can never get enough of..the tenacity of life despite the failings of humankind.

Popular Posts