A Walk in the Woods (by the Lake)

Acting on a tip from a friend, I headed out to Nimisila Reservoir yesterday hoping to see a Bald Eagle she had seen on Sunday.  She had given me a link to an on-line map and then described in great detail the precise location where she’d spotted it.  I had no trouble spotting the nest—the tree was exactly as she had described. 
A local fisherman was there, and spotting my camera, he asked “Looking for the eagle, huh?”  I affirmed that I was to which he replied that he hadn’t seen it all day, but he had seen it there for a couple days in a row over the weekend.  You might think I was disappointed, and I suppose I was for a moment.  But this place is less than fifteen minutes from my home, so my next thought was, “No problem, I’ll come back tomorrow or the next day. Or maybe both days.” 
So as not to waste this lovely afternoon (that was supposed to be rainy, but wasn’t), I walked along some of the leaf-covered paths left by those who’d come to this wooded shoreline before.  I watched some Canada geese, a pair of shy mallards, listened to the frogs, and enjoyed the moist spring air.
mallards
I walked right into a couple of spider webs and remembered the very first time that ever happened to me.  Oddly enough it was in this very same area on the other side of Comet Lake, where my brother and I would play for hours in the woods.  Even when he ran ahead of me, I still ended up running into the spider webs.  Maybe he just ran so fast that he didn’t notice the sticky tickling strands on his nose.  That sensation is still enough to make me stop and wipe frantically at my face.  It takes a few minutes for me to stop thinking there must be a spider crawling on the top of my head, but something always captures my attention and causes me to forget.
Yesterday, it was skunk cabbages and striped wintergreen and duckweed. 
skunk cabbage
We had buckets of rain fall last night, so I’ll be standing on the paved parking lot today.  And if I get to see that eagle, you can be sure I will be writing about it later.

Comments

Hi Adrienne, I hope you get to see the Eagle soon... I know that it was disappointing. Glad you did get to see a few things while out though. There was a group of Geese flying over our house in formation heading north --the other day. I love to hear their honking...

Have a great day. How's Jeff?
Hugs,
Betsy
Kelly said…
...I hope you find the eagle! Just 15 minutes from your house is great. I just saw in the newspaper one has been found on the Little Miami River in Morrow. They are not releasing the location to protect the eagles, but I bike that way sometimes. I hope I get to see them too!
Lona said…
Hi Adrienne. Love the story of the cobwebs. LOL! I sure hope you get to get some pictures of the Eagle. The pictures of the ducks is beautiful and I am trying to remember if I have saw Skunk Cabbage or not. I have certainly heard of it. It must grow in wet areas since I see the pretty moss beside it.
Good luck on the eagle watch ;-)
Lona
vcrimson said…
Hey Adrienne, it sounds (and looks) like you still managed to have an awesome afternoon despite the eagle not being around! I'm sure you'll see it soon if you keep visiting! your photos are gorgeous! as for the spider webs, it gives me creepy crawlies just thinking about it!yuck!
Willard said…
A wonderful description of an early spring outing with good photos to illustrate the story. I felt like I was there too when reading it.
heidiannie said…
Spiderwebs! Shiver of disgust!!!! I always find a stick to wave in front of me to break them before they get to my face and hair.
When my kids were little they called it my spider wand!
Hope you see the eagle next time around the lake!
Plattner Ranch said…
Love the picture of the Mallards! You have a great eye for framing!

Still praying for your family.

I thought of this song about eagles, not sure if you were still around when we sang it. I think Angie accompanied, it was beautiful!

Wings as Eagles (ron hamilton)

When the race still lies before me,
And the wind is blowing strong,
When the witnesses surround me,
And my strength is almost gone;
When the valley plunges deeper,
And life shatters all my dreams,
Then I lift my voice to Jesus,
And He gives my spirit wings.

God gives wings, God gives wings as eagles;
God gives wings to fly and strength to rise above.
God gives wings, God gives wings as eagles,
When my feet begin to stumble,
And my dreams begin to crumble,
I mount up on eagles' wings.

Let us run the race with patience,
Let us lay each weight aside,
Looking only unto Jesus;
He will be our faithful Guide.
He has run the race before us;
He has won the victor's crown.
And He calls to ev'ry Christian.
Follow me to higher ground.

I found a link on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUhLk-3CPzQ
Bill S. said…
Looks like your had a successful day - any day in the great wildness is a successful one.
Deejbrown said…
Oh, the glories of spring! And I think you are following your "inner eagle" in your returns to nature's beauty!
What beautiful scenes! I hope you do get to see that elusive eagle!
Just read Kelly's comment above. I bike along that trail as well, but usually don;t get as far North as Morrow.

Popular Posts