Red Fox

I recently learned that my favorite nature store Phoebe’s is going out of business, so I went in last week to make a few purchases and stock up on birdseed.  (Where will I find live mealworms, now? I wonder.)
I had just been there a couple weeks earlier looking for a memorial stone for Onyx’s grave.  I was still too upset at the time to purchase anything.   So on this visit, I made sure to choose one.  It says “Cats leave paw prints on our hearts.”
I also wanted to purchase something that reminded me of the delightful hours I had spent browsing in their store, and I set out to find a statue.  There was a little statue of a red fox that had occupied several different spots in their store over the years.  I found him up front, guarding the bird baths.
fox statue 
It might seem silly, but as I checked out and gave the girls my regards, I got a little teary-eyed.  I will miss that store! I will miss the fragrance of hand-made soaps and the sound of birdsong mingled with music. And I will truly miss Phoebe and her daughters who always had ready advice for my bird-feeding (squirrel-repelling) challenges. 
Even though I will miss shopping there, I now have that little red fox.  And who knows, maybe I’ll just decide to move him around the house occasionally just to keep visitors guessing where he might turn up.
CCbadge

Comments

Pamela said…
I think this is a wonderful remembrance of your favorite store. Where will you put it in your home?
Pam
Lona said…
That is a shame Adrienne. So many little retail stores just have a hard time competing against the bigger box stores.
Your fox is so pretty. The detail on it is fabulous.
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
It sounds like you found a good memorial stone for Onyx. I'm sorry the store is closing, but it's cool you got the fox to remember it by. I like the idea of moving it to different places in the house. Could it go into the yard when it's warm out? You could move it around there, too.

Merry Christmas!
eileeninmd said…
Sorry your favorite store is closing. I love going into the smaller family owned stores. The fox you bought is cute and will be a nice memory for you.
Dianne said…
I felt the same way about a small candle shop here that closed

getting something like the fox was a wonderful idea!!
Adrienne: What neat reminders of the store. I have a statue behind the house and often wondered if the Red Fox came into the yard to check it out.
Unknown said…
Oh, this made me so sad. I am sorry they are closing down. I have seen so many small stores closing down recently and it makes me feel sad. I love that you got the fox. I know he will be a great addition to your home. I hope you had the most wonderful of Christmas' : )
Coy Hill said…
Sorry about your favorite store but as for meal worms, you can order them any time of the year from Cabelas.com
Sorry your favorite store is closing but this little red fox is an adorable keepsake.
Hugs and blessings,
Dianne said…
I came back to tell you I have seen the starlings 'whooshing' and they are amazing!! fluid changes is exactly how to describe it, it is a wonderful sight, I love them :)
DeniseinVA said…
Your little fox will be a lovely reminder of what sounds like a lovely store. Always so sad to see the small stores go out of business. It sounded one of a kind.
Hi Adrienne, It is hard to see favorite places go out of business. I would get teary-eyed also. BUT--that fox will always be a reminder of that neat little store. Hope you can find a similar store not too far from you.

Hugs,
Betsy
Misty DawnS said…
I love that statue! That's great that you will have that to remind you of the store. Sorry to hear they are going out of business :-(
heidiannie said…
I have a concrete fox in my outdoor garden-nothing as cute as yours- but very companionable. Good choice as a memory piece- and your stone for Onyx is perfect, as well, since your heart is still imprinted. Goodbyes are hard- even if it is only a favorite store, I still feel nostalgic when I drive past some of my stores that have closed.
Kelly said…
Ahhhhh...I love your little red fox too--good purchase! I would be sad if my birdseed store moved out. It's the scents and sounds that make a store special, and the people who work there. I hope you can find another seed store...
ellen said…
Cute, Nice entry. Mine is up!
I totally understand. I had a store once, and the hardest, most sad thing about closing was missing the customers.
Kerri Farley said…
Oh I LOVE your little Red Fox! And what fond memories he will bring back for you!
Deejbrown said…
Sounds like you have yourself a mascot! Perhaps this little fox will help guide you along life's secret pathways....

Popular Posts