Onyx

About an hour after my dad and I buried her this afternoon, I realized that it was exactly 17 years ago today that Onyx came into our lives.  She leaves behind a gaping hole that perhaps only those who have ever loved a pet would really understand. 
I was working at the Humane Society when we adopted Onyx.  You can read that story here.  She loved that first Christmas—those little bows on all the presents were her favorite temptation.  We ended up giving her a few to chase around just so she would leave the presents alone.
    Onyx  Crop 3Onyx crop1Onyx crop2
Gift bags filled with tissue paper were not safe either.  She’d rip the tissue out and then pounce all over it. 
           Onyx crop6 Onyx crop7
But my favorite story about Onyx is from 2001 when I was 38 weeks pregnant with Henry.  I was sitting in the recliner waiting for Jeff to finish Megan’s bath-time.  Onyx came and stood right in front of me and meowed insistently, strangely.  Then she jumped up in my lap and looked me right in the face and did it again like she was warning me about something.  I stroked her on the chin, patted her on the head then put her on the floor.  As I stood up to follow her, I felt a strange popping sensation as my water broke.  I am convinced she knew the baby was coming.  I don’t know how, but she was definitely trying to tell me.
                      meg&onyxonyx
onyx2
 Over the years, Onyx learned to avoid the children while they were young and played too rough.  As they grew older and more careful, she really enjoyed their affection.  She increasingly spent her time with Megan who loved her immensely and carried her cradled like a baby in her arms.  Megan was her go-to person for treats.
Onyx was always a wonderful cat, and I certainly was not ready to let her go.  Evenings will be hardest.  That’s when she was my cat, sitting as close as possible to me if not in my lap.  She was a treasure, a companion and a comfort.
She was my friend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my. This must be "Baby Kitty's" first cousin. He is a bouncer and got some years on him but the rest looks the same. Nice photos.

Brookville Daily Photo
Kelly said…
Oh Adrienne.....my heart goes out to you. The pain of losing a pet can't be measured, and 17 years was a long time to build a bond. I hope your children are doing okay. I was so sad when I was a little girl and my dog died. As an adult, I've lost two beloved cats, and it gets worse every time.
Anonymous said…
Dear Adrienne,
What a nice tribute to Onyx. Animals are such unique creations of God for our enjoyment, and I am sorry that your friend and companion is gone. As much as I complain about our dogs, it would be so strange to not have them here. Will you get another kitten for yourself and/or the kids? Love you, Tara
I'm so sorry Adrienne that you lost your precious kitty... Onyx was as black as my Snowball was white --when I had her (in high school). She died while I was in college--but it was always hard to go home after she died. I missed her so much.

That is such a neat tribute to Onyx. Again, I am so very sorry.
Hugs,
Betsy
We love Luna said…
Dear ADrienne,
So sorry for this sad news, she went to the bridge so soon...
All our prayers and purrs for her and your family in this sad moment!
God bless you all
purrs
Luna
Anonymous said…
No matter how long they live, we'd always like a little more time. My own Kinsey is approaching 17, and has some health problems we know will limit her remaining days. We love her and enjoy her company while we can, and will miss her terribly when the time comes.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Unknown said…
This made me cry and cry. I am so sorry for your loss of dear Onyx. She looks like the sweetest kitty. I am so glad you had her in your life for so many wonderful years. I will keep you in my prayers tonight. I know that it hurts!
Valerie said…
It's so hard to say good bye to integral parts of our family. And our pets surely do become important members who give us comfort and love, and even those special warnings they are so in-tuned to. I have read that before about cats, knowing when important events will take place. That is so neat.

I had a cockatiel for 17 1/2 years. How quiet the house seemed after he had died. I never realized how attached I was to him, until he was gone. It's been a few years, but I can't seem to throw away his bells. When I hit them by mistake, the sound makes me think he is still in the room.

What a nice post to share what a special friend Onyx was.
heidiannie said…
Seventeen years is a long time to spend with a pet- my oldest son's cat was with us that long. In fact, he had gone off to college and she was mooning around the place missing him. I'm not a cat person, and we did not have a lovey relationship- but I MISSED that cat when she died.
Seventeen years is a long time to spend with another being.
Kerri Farley said…
Oh, I am so sorry! But so glad you have wonderful memories!
I am sorry for your loss. It is hard losing our pets. Each person in a family develops their own relationships with a pet, and they are missed. I remember expecting to see our dog when I heard a noise, then remembered she wasn't there.

May God comfort you in this time of grieving.
Oh, I'm so sorry. That is so difficult. I love your stories about Onyx as well as her name. what a wonderful tribute to a special kitty.
Along with those above me, I, too, know the pain of loosing a beloved pet--my kitty Misty, who died at 16 about 8 years ago.
I am going to share this with my daughter whose (almost all black) cat disappeared a couple months ago.
PS I love the second photo and the look on Onyx's face! --her determination, it would seem, to grab all the fun possible out of the situation!
Deejbrown said…
Ah. If we are lucky, we have a soul-mate cat, like your Onyx (my "Sasha"). They never really leave us, you know, but become part of who we are.
Dot O said…
Adrienne, I am so sorry..... I just read this post a week later than you posted it and I apologize. Nobody can understand the loss of a pet other than those who have loved them. I am certain that although Onyx's physical being has left you, she will remain by your side for the rest of your life.

Again, I am so sorry. Onyx was a beauty!!!
Misty DawnS said…
Oh, my friend, I am SO very sorry. My heart and thoughts and virtual hugs go out to you. (((HUGS))) I wish I could say something to make it easier, but I know from experience that it just takes time. Love ya!
Carol said…
I understand. It's been over 10 years since my "Lucky" died. I still cant talk about her.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Popular Posts