My Favorite Things

This week the gals over at I ♥ Faces are taking a break from contests and asking their followers to write a story in pictures.  The theme being “My Favorite Things.”   Am I the only person that immediately hears Julie Andrews start singing whenever I hear that phrase?  I hope not.  These are just a few of my favorite things (well, the ones I have photos for anyway).

 Autumn
aerocar over Niagara whirlpool - photo by Adrienne ZwartAutumn is my favorite time of year.  I love the colors, the smells, the crisp air.  I wish it were longer.  It seems there aren’t enough days to fit in all the activities I like to do in the fall.  Last year, we drove up to Niagara Falls when the fall foliage was just at its peak.  Gorgeous!!! 


Birds
chickadee I have loved birds ever since I can remember.  I may have written before that my mom bought me a coloring book of common backyard birds when I was about 5 or 6.  That was the beginning of wanting to know the names of every single one I saw.

Butterflies
black tiger swallowtail female photo by Adrienne Zwart
How could anyone have a list of favorite things and not have butterflies on it somewhere?  Just watching them flutter around makes me happy.  We raised ten American Painted Ladies last summer.  It was fascinating to watch them go through the stages.  I am learning the different species we have thanks to my new favorite field guide Butterflies of Ohio.


Family
fam How can I even begin to describe how blessed I am.  I have a wonderful husband and three beautiful, healthy children.  Sometimes I miss the cute baby/toddler days, but I have to say that I really am enjoying the ages they are right now. 


Field Guides
field guides These are my favorite tools that help to quench my thirst for knowledge.  When I see something I never noticed before, I simply must know what it is.  In order to learn more, you must first know the name of the subject you want to study.


Flowers
monarda red
Nothing profound to say here, I just love them.  I am partial to native plants and wildflowers, though I do plant other things as well.  My gardens are designed (and I use that term loosely) with butterflies in mind.  Perennials and flowers that readily re-seed themselves are my plants of choice.  Oh, and presumably they are deer-resistant.  Although, I think the deer will chew anything if they are hungry enough.


Friends
friends2
I am blessed to have wonderful friends.  I wish I had room to share photos of each one of them!  I’ve been able to reconnect with several from school through Facebook, and that has been a blast.  And I’ve got new friends through blogging whom I have never actually met.  What fun!  I love meeting new people.  And as fun as the good times are with my friends, I’ve come to realize the treasure they truly are as they have supported me through some of life’s most difficult times.
friends
Hiking
hiking
My favorite activity by far.  Breathing the fresh air, exploring God’s marvelous creation.  It energizes my mind, body and spirit.

Onyx
onyx
Our family cat turned 17 on Sunday.  She’s an old girl, for sure, but just as sweet and beautiful as the day we brought her home from the Humane Society.

So how about you?  What are your favorite things?
I heart Faces badge

Comments

Andrea said…
What a great list accompanied by gorgeous pictures! My list looks very shallow next to yours. :)
Misty DawnS said…
I can't get over how alike you and I are! Maybe it's because we are both Buckeyes ;-) (course I'm a misplaced Buckeye hehe).
I LOVE that autumn photo - the trees are gorgeous.
Oh, and I'm SUPER jealous of all those field guides!!! Someday I'll have a nice library of field guides too!
Lona said…
Adrienne, what a gorgeous and heartfelt array of photos. Have a wonderful weekend. I will be sinking in the mud at the Bob Evans Festival in Rio Grande.
Monika said…
Thanks for commenting on my entry, I'm glad somebody has the same problem with chocolate disappearing :-).

Lovely pictures, I especially love your autumn & hiking shots!
heidiannie said…
Thanks for sharing your list.
I am intimidated by all the great photographers on I heart Faces and haven't been putting anything up, lately!
Your pictures are great and your family beautiful.
I clicked on your family photo by accident and couldn't get back to your blog. So I thought it could be Divine interference and took the time to pray for you all. Pictures are the best icon to remind me to pray for those I love.
Blessings,
Heidi
Hi Adrienne, Great post. You take such incredible pictures. George and I went to Niagara Falls in 2002 --and loved it. We stayed in the Canadian side--and took it ALL in...

Love the picture of you and your sweet family. I too love birds and butterflies and hiking. GREAT photos.
Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. You cat is gorgeous.. Can't believe that Onyx is THAT old now. She doesn't look old at all.
Kelly said…
Ohhhhh....I LOVE your favorite things, and yes...I have that song playing in my mind now. Sound of Music was my favorite movie when I was a kid! (btw...I think I have all of your field guides!!)
Unknown said…
I loved every single thing about your post Adrienne! It was fantastic : ) Your family is beautiful! I am glad you have each other. And happy Birthday to Onyx! She is pretty too!
lynn said…
Beautiful photos! Oh, I would love to visit Niagara falls in autumn. It looks amazing!
Valerie said…
A great list indeed. All wonderful blessings from the Creator! How blessed we are to have such an awesome God who gave us such a great place and time to be in as a warm up for eternity! Enjoy the long weekend!
Linda said…
Lovely photos, all of them, but I especially like the hiking one. You've raised butterflies? I'm impressed!
Anonymous said…
What an awesome series of photos!! Onyx is adorable! Wow! 17 years old -- that's amazing! I love your family photo. Great photo of the chickadee...they are one of my favorite birds.
a truly wonderful post in so many ways!
first photo-What is that?!
We love pretty much the same things except that Summer is my favorite season.
I wonder where you are hiking...
Hi Adrienne,
I enjoyed catching up on your blog. I love the details on that blue jay in the "just checking" post. This post was my favorite. I was excited seeing all the things on your list that would be on mine as well. My favorite season is spring, though.

I am sorry the chemo isn't helping. I'll have to go check out your other blog.

Popular Posts