Dogwood Sawfly (…continued)

Armed with my new information about the dogwood sawfly larvae, I excitedly went outside yesterday afternoon to see if any were still there in earlier instars.* (See explanation below)   So I hope you aren’t bored with my quest for knowledge, but here are some more photos of what I found.
sawlfly larval skin photo by Adrienne Zwart This is a discarded larval skin.  There were several of these, so it is impossible to know which one belonged to the yellow fellow in the previous post.  You can see the deck stairs in the background, which lead to the railing where I met him.
sawflydamage
Here you can see some of the damage those caterpillars were making.  Even though they eat quite a bit of the foliage, it does little damage to the tree because it happens so late in the growing season.  The deer were already chewing this anyway.  I wonder if it will ever look like a tree as much as they chew on it!
I was beginning to feel a bit disappointed that there weren’t any of the white or yellow larvae crawling around when I saw a small white one fall off a leaf into the mulch below.  This instar has a whitish waxy substance on its skin.  You can actually see where some of the waxy powder left an imprint when the larva landed on the mulch.
sawfly larva photo by Adrienne Zwart
So, I was feeling confident that I do have a correct ID on this critter, but a little disappointed that there weren’t any more of the last instars hanging around.  I gave up and decided to photograph some flowers.  The garden is definitely winding down, but the cosmos are still blooming prolifically.
pink cosmos flower
At this moment my camera battery indicator came on, so my daughter got her camera.  We enjoyed peeking under leaves, looking at mushrooms, chasing a dragonfly, etc.  I made my way back over to the dogwood tree and spied this plump little guy.sawflu larva curled up under leaf - photo by Adrienne Zwart
Now this one is about the same size as the larvae I saw last week just before finding the yellow one.  I am fairly certain it is just about ready to shed its skin and I’m hoping he will still be out there today despite the heavy overnight rains.
Once the yellow instar has completed growing, it no longer feeds on the plant but focuses on finding a suitable over-wintering site. Their first choice would be wood that’s rotting on the ground. (They also sometimes choose wood-sided buildings which explains why woodpeckers sometimes “attack” a house.  They can hear them moving.) Perhaps the neighbor’s wood pile would be a good place to check for the yellow fellow and his friends today.  I’ll let you know how it goes. :) 

* An Explanation of Instars:

As the body of the larva grows, whether butterfly caterpillar or sawfly larva, the skin becomes too tight.  In the Peterson Guide to Caterpillars, Amy Bartlett Wright states: “As it eats and grows, [the caterpillar’s] body stretches until the its skin becomes too tight. The larva then stops eating and molts, shedding its tight skin…and will resume feeding. Later it will outgrow that skin and molt again. The stages between moltings are called instars; a caterpillar will go through several before it reaches full size in its final instar.  This mature larva may bear little resemblance to its first instar.” 
flower badge2

Comments

DeniseinVA said…
Wonderful post Adrienne, you learn and so do we thanks to all this interesting information that you have shared with us. Beautiful photos! Thanks so much.
Very interesting post, Adrienne. I enjoyed hearing and seeing more about your caterpillars.

Your cosmos are still beautiful though.

Hope you have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy
Kelly said…
Very cool....I liked learning about the instars, and great capture catching the white chalky residue on the leaf from where the little guy fell--that's really neat. I'm glad you're doing the sleuthing. (Love your Cosmos...that flower always makes me think of my grandma.)
Unknown said…
Identifying insects is tricky, isn't it. But you took great photos so that helps a lot!
Valerie said…
Adrienne - excellent post, and very good investigative reporting.
It is quite interesting to read it in one spot and then see you find it in your own backyard as confirmation ... even if it is a larvae! eew!
Thanks for sharing the info on the larvae! Always more to learn with nature!
squirrel said…
Very interesting. I love to learn about natural history.

Popular Posts