Colorful Observer

In the course of following the monarch at the park on Thursday, I looked down to be sure I wasn’t about to step into the water at the edge of the pond. Sure enough, my toe was at the edge. And looking up at me was a darling young painted turtle. He cautiously watched me as I photographed him, and I was sure he would tuck his head in at any moment once the kids came over. But he stayed right there, just basking and watching.
Finally, my husband came along as well, and the little turtle must have felt there were just too many of us. He quickly sought deeper water. (And I thought turtles were supposed to be slow!) I don’t really know much about turtles, but this one sure was pretty. Hmm, time to learn something new—I love that!
painted turtle photo by Adrienne Zwart
I learned that there are at least four sub-species of the painted turtle, but the only one found in Ohio is the Midland Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta marginata). Like all hard-shell turtle species in Ohio, the sex of the individual is determined by the temperature at which they develop in the egg. For example, the Ohio DNR Division of Wildlife states that snapping turtle eggs kept at about 77° Fahrenheit will produce male hatchlings, while eggs that are kept at higher or lower temps will all produce females. Placement of the eggs in the nest will often determine this in the wild. The warmest eggs at the top of the nest will hatch as females while the cooler eggs near the bottom will be closer to the right temperature to produce males. Fascinating!
This next part was a surprise to me and I’m rather glad I didn’t know it at the time so I didn’t have to listen to endless choruses of “Can we keep him, Mom? Ple-easssse!” Residents of Ohio are permitted to own up to four individuals of a non-threatened reptile or amphibian species without a license. (Interested Ohioans can check out the ODNR website for a list of qualifying species. Once they reach a certain size, reptiles must be tagged with a transponder [available from the DNR for $10].) Personally, I think it’s better to leave wild things in the wild anyway. What do you think?


Comments

Dirkjogt said…
That's a great shot, lucky you that he just stayed there and let himself be photographed.
Kelly said…
Wow....thanks for all the info. I would never have guessed the temp of an egg would determine the sex. Remember the book, "Let's Get Turtles" from when we were kids? I loved that book, but I prefer seeing them in the wild...
Janie said…
Great clear photo of the turtle. Certain turtles from pet stores can carry Salmonella, I believe. Not sure if that's true of those captured in the wild. Certainly better for the critter to be left to live his natural life!
??? said…
Great shot! I refuse to buy wildcaught pets - well, I refuse to buy pets anyway and adopt from shelters or private rescues instead - with patience, you can get even exotics that way and turtles are definitely among the pets who are abandoned or given up very often. Which is not surprising whe you consider the size the reach (dinner plate) and the lies pet shops tell you about them: yes, they are comfortable in that tiny plastic thingy with the fake palm tree and no, they won't grow when you keep them in a small tank. Yeah, sure.
DeniseinVA said…
Hi Adrienne, wonderful post and a lovely photo of the turtle you came across. I love learning new things also. Thanks for sharing and thanks also for stopping by my blog. To answer your question, the sparrow you mentioned actually was taking a dust bath. It was very cute to watch him.
Snap said…
Wonderful shot. I love turtles. I could watch them all day long (if it wasn't so hot!)!
Anya said…
Wow!!
its a wonderful shot,
my compliments :)
I love it ..
Adrienne: That is such a cute little guy, to bad he doesn't fit the screen. They certainly can be fast.
Cezar and Léia said…
hello sweetie Adrienne
Fabulous post, my mommy loves turtle
purrs and love always
Luna
Unknown said…
I love the set up of your blog. I too use blogger and it inspires me to change to the wide and text size you use on yours. Is it a template, or did you have to customize it?
Carletta said…
The info about the eggs is awesome. Now I've learned something today.
I know what you mean about the part. A box turtle was in my yard today. I grabbed the camera and went out in my PJ's knowing if I changed I wouldn't find him. :)
Great shot of the turtle in the water!
Carrie said…
cool shot and great information very interesting, thanks for sharing
Drew said…
That's funny because it would never occur to me that you would need a license when bringing a turtle home. I guess you don't but a transponder? That's even more surprising. Yep, let's keep those buggers in the wild. :)
mimi said…
what a big turtle, love to watch them if i have the chance.
Adrienne: In answer to your question: if I click on the photo I see it all. The screen display shows a turtle with its head missing. It must be something to do with your settings.
sweetbay said…
They are beautiful turtles aren't they?
storyteller said…
Lovely post. I'm reminded that we needed to get a license for our desert tortoise decades ago.
Hugs and blessings,
Adrienne Zwart said…
FG: If you maximize your screen after you open my page, you should see the whole thing.
Unknown said…
What a cool thing to discover. And I definitely learned something new today about them!

Popular Posts