Camera Critters – Beetle

bug with feathers for antennae photo by Adrienne Zwart
It only took a few minutes to indentify this bug at my favorite bug ID site www.BugGuide.net. When you encounter some critter in the garden, it helps to know a little bit about the general morphology of the bug. Take a minute to decide if you think this insect belongs to the ant order, wasp and bee order, butterfly and moth order, grasshopper order…well, you get the idea. That will help you start looking in the right direction for an ID. BugGuide.net makes that easier by grouping the orders of insects on the left-hand side of the page with an icon representing the general form. By clicking on the icon of the grasshopper, for instance, you will be directed to the section which includes similar bugs such as crickets and katydids.
I wasn’t certain where to search first until I remembered that beetles are that group of insects which have a hard set of wings that fold over and protect their flying wings when they are resting. Ok, so clicking on the beetle icon, I’m in the right group…now what? Well, those antennae are unlike anything I’ve ever seen on any insect other than a moth, so I figured I’d just scroll through and look for bugs with feathery antennae. There are more than I thought I would find, but not many. One had similar markings but the head was black with red antennae. Finally I saw a photo that resembled my bug, and clicked to view more. Sure enough, this was it. Meet the Wedge-Shaped Beetle (Macrosiagon limbata.) *Really? The person that discovered this bug couldn’t have come up with something more imaginative than “wedge-shaped beetle”--something that described its showy red color or feathered coif?* Well, this is the male. The female’s antennae are not as showy.
All right, now I knew what kind of beetle came to visit me while I worked in the garden, but I need to know more. That is just my curious nature. I’ve gone my whole entire life completely unaware that this critter lived near me. Now I want to know everything there is to know about it. I’ve hit a dead end with the internet, so I’ll be doing some research at the library. For now, the only thing I know is that it feeds on fungus and also enjoys flower nectar. I think he’s rather cute—for a bug.
Do you enjoy animal photography? Clicking on the button below will take you to Camera Critters, a weekly animal photography-sharing meme hosted by Misty Dawn.


Comments

Anya said…
AMAZING shot
he looks so funny :))))
Anonymous said…
Never heard of this bug before. What an amazing shot. The detail is so clear!
Mara said…
What a boring name indeed! I would have thought there would be better names too. Love the photo!
Larry D said…
An amazing beetle like this deserves a better name, great photo!
i beati said…
omg what a cool cool picture!!!!! You made my day sandy
Cezar and Léia said…
wow so different bug indeed!I have never seen some critters like it!
Great macro shot, fabulous work Adrienne!
Happy Camera critters
purrs
Luna
Anonymous said…
That is one funky looking bug!
Adrienne: I agree with your great photo it has to be a Red Fringed Antlered Beetle. That makes a neater name for me.
Janie said…
Great photo of a beautiful bug. Thanks for the bug link. I'm often trying to identify insects, so this will be a big help.
Drew said…
I live fairly close to you and have never seen this bug. I'm okay with that, though. :)
What a cute beetle! I hope it stays around awhile, and you are able to find more information on it. I took a bunch of photos this evening of a moth my son thinks is some kind of bee imitator, but haven't gotten the photos off of my memory card yet.
Unknown said…
Oh. My. Gosh! This is such a creepy, but great : ) picture. Scary! I hope I never see one of these. I would scream loudly. Way to go getting that great picture though. LOVE it : )
SaraG said…
Very cool. That is the most interesting looking bug!
Thanks for sharing.
Eric said…
Never seen a creature like this, great shot!!

So many thanks for your visit and kind comment to my blog!!

Have a nice weekend!!

Greetings from NL
SandyCarlson said…
An interesting little guy. Thanks for this and the info about identifying him and his pals.
Kelly said…
Oh my goodness...I never thought I would think of a bug as cute (except for ladybugs), but this guy is cute! He reminds me of a deer with those feathery antenna being antlers! I know nothing about bugs.....so much to learn. Thanks for doing the research and reporting for us. I'll have to remember that site.

Popular Posts