A Life Too Short

Life is short. But when I think back to high school days, college days, even my wedding day, it seems like such a long time ago. How does that work exactly?

My friend Stef lost his battle with colon cancer yesterday and went home to be with Jesus. He leaves behind his wife and three young children. It was going to be tragic no matter when his body finally gave in, but happening just a few days before Christmas seems extraordinarily unfair.

His life was definitely short by our standards. And the understanding of why God chooses to heal one and not heal another even though there are hundreds of people praying in both cases remains beyond my grasp. In this case, it makes me feel a twinge of guilt that my husband survived cancer and hers did not. Why does God do that?

The old stand-by verse comes to mind "All things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28) I know this is a promise, but it doesn't answer all the questions. We're just supposed to put monumental trust in it's truth even when we can't see how the circumstances could possibly work out for good.

So as I am praying today for Stef's wife and family, I ask that God would be merciful and comforting. I ask for tremendous strength and grace for Sandi to endure the questions that her young children will ask many times. And that she will be comforted in knowing Stef is finally cancer-free, pain-free, and in the presence of his loving Savior.

Comments

That is so sad to hear Adrienne...and you're right. It's terrible to lose someone anytime of the year, but being so close to Christmas adds it's own sorrow.

I'll be keeping your friend and her children in my prayers also. I'm so sorry for all of your loss.
Cori said…
Your friends are in my thought and prayers as well. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss.

Popular Posts