Wasp Galls

If you have oak trees in your yard, you may have noticed weird growths on the leaves.  They are called galls and roughly 90% of oak galls are formed by parasitic wasps. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, each one specific to the species of wasp inside them.  Our pin oak tree has two different kinds on its leaves.  One looks like a tan puff-ball about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long.  Nothing really great to look at.  I’ve been tempted to cut one open to see the developing organism inside.
The other gall is a tiny red fuzzy ball ranging from 1/8 to 1/4 inch.  There are so many of these all over our tree.  From what I have read, I need not be concerned.  The galls do not harm the tree, and the wasps that emerge do not sting humans.
red fuzzy large
How do these galls form?  Evidently, the gall-making insect lays an egg on the leaf. The larva hatches and secretes powerful growth chemicals that interact with the tree’s growth hormones causing the over-development of plant tissue. The tissue rapidly grows around and encloses the larva.  The larva inside benefits by being somewhat protected from predators and gains nutrition from the tissue inside the gall.  In order for the gall to form successfully, this all must take place just as the new leaves are beginning to unfold in the spring.
The wasps that make galls are smaller than 1/8 of an inch and are not as well-described as the galls they make.  I do not know what species was responsible for this one.
red fuzzy gall wasp puff - photo by adrienne zwart
Now, I do realize that these aren’t flowers, but they are colorful growths on this oak tree.  So I’m sharing them with my friends at Today’s Flowers.  Click on the badge below to view flower photos from all over the world.
flower badge2

Comments

SandyCarlson said…
That is very interesting. I am glad you shared these.
Kerri Farley said…
You find the most amazing creatures! Fabulous post!
Carletta said…
I've seen the tan galls on an oak where we used to live. I don't think I've ever seen these red fuzzy ones.
Wasps - that's a new one for me.
Wonderful info and I think it's a great and colorful post!

Carletta’s Captures.
Randi said…
Very interesting post - have never seen this before!
heidiannie said…
I was just looking at these on some oak leaves from a tree in my neighborhood. Thanks Adrienne, I love knowing about the creatures around us!
Great shtos.
Thanks for share this info.
Hi there,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Just wanted to let you know I also have a echinacea called Mac 'N Cheese, which I am guessing will also be a yeloow/orange colour, I haven't seen it flower yet. I got all these at http://www.richters.com/

Gill in Canada
We have pin oaks, Adrienne, and I see these little things on leaves in the fall when the leaves come down. I never knew what they were before. Thanks for educating me.
Hugs,
Betsy
Redzlan said…
That very interesting finding. Something new for me.
Thanks for info.
Adrienne: What a neat story and great scientific information.
Anonymous said…
Hi, sorry I haven't been blogging lately. It was a hectic week. Great post, very interesting. Never saw them before!
Anonymous said…
I have not seen these galls on any of my white oak trees. I haven't really looked but I would think I could see them from my windows or when I walk under the tree. I wonder if they are on "White Oaks?"
Bradley Hsi said…
Very interesting information and beautiful marco.
Dot O said…
I never saw or heard of these before. That is really, really interesting. I'll have to be on the lookout around here to see if they are there but I've been missing them.

Great informative post and wonderful pictures!
Tulip said…
it's amazing what pretty red thing that nature can make. adrienne, thank you for your kind words and prayers for my uncle. God bless.

southbrowneyes
Kelly said…
...ohhh....I've seen galls before, but never really knew what insect was inside them. Great post...I learned a lot!! Very pretty photos as well. The last photo is so cool...
Adrienne Zwart said…
Ok, so I cut one open today. I can't see anything inside it really. I was disappointed.
squirrel said…
Really like the gall post. I have never found that red fuzzy one before. I was thinking of doing a gall post in the near future and probably still will. They are so obvious this time of year. I rearely find anything in them either when I cut them open. I think maybe they have already gone or they are still very very very tiny and I just don't see them. There are some that make moon shaped bumps along the edges and ribs of the oak leaves and I have found larva in thoses. Oaks seem to have the biggest variety on them. Thanks for shareing this information.
That is a most interesting fuzzy red gall! Nature is pretty amazing in all its forms. I wonder if these wasps are pollinators.
I have an award for you! Come on over to my blog to see!

Popular Posts