Mountain Wildflowers

I didn’t dare stop along the road as we traveled up Pike’s Peak for fear I would lose my nerve to keep going.  But I was much more relaxed on the way down and found a couple of places where I could pull off and take a closer look at some of the wildflowers. I believe this one is called Rockslide Daisy.
purple daisy at Pike's Peak

I walked down the embankment into the trees’ edge and found this curious-looking flower.  I have no idea what it is, so feel free to leave a comment if you know its name.
mystery purple wildflower
The foliage reminds me a bit of my bleeding heart at home, and of some of my buttercup weeds.  Here is another view straight on of the flower:
mystery purple wildflower
It is a deep pinkish purple and the petals have little hairs. (I wish that I had touched it to know if the hairs were soft or bristly.)  It grows very close to the ground:  this plant was only about 3 inches tall.

What interesting things have you seen this summer?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness... Pikes Peak! What memories... we went there when I was maybe Adam's age and I STILL remember the drive. AND the altitude sickness. But NOT the beautiful flowers; somehow I doubt we stopped to look at those. I have a photo of a fairly similar flower that I took in Yellowstone Park back in 1998... definitely a high altitude lover! Beautiful shots... and I am so glad you took this trip.
Marilyn said…
Hi-I'm glad you stopped by for a visit. I've lived in Colorado all my life and have never been to Pike's Peak. I'm just not a fan of paying to drive to the top of a mountain and back down.

I read some of "grace..." first and see that we are both living out Plan B of life. I know it is not easy, but having God makes all the difference! Blessings to you and your family.♥♫
We saw lots of gorgeous wildflowers on our trip out west also --and we saw some wildlife... SO neat!!!!

Great photos.
Hugs,
Betsy
Carletta said…
Hi Adrienne!
So nice to see you in my comments.
I love the daisy shot!
I feel like I should know this other flower but it escapes me. I hope someone will know for you.
Now, I'm going to scroll down and see what you've been up to. :)
Andrea said…
I truly love the first shot. How lovely, and i also posted some mountain wildflowers in mine today. They might however be very familiar with you as i found them in the mountains of Turkey, alien to me!
Judy said…
I read all the posts about your trip today! I can only say you are very brave and very lucky to make such a trip! I have enjoyed seeing it all through your eyes!!
Anita Johnson said…
Another great post...so much fun to see all that you are seeing. I wondered if that flower was a Pasque flower, but the leaves seem different. The daisy is beautiful!
Misty DawnS said…
Very beautiful flowers! I think of you often, my friend. Just don't get around the blogosphere as often as I'd like.
Cassy said…
Those wildflowers are simply beautiful.

Cassy from Acoustic Guitar Lessons

Popular Posts